Hard Disk May be Corrupt *not sure*

Old September 22nd 08, 01:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ChevronTango

Default Hard Disk May be Corrupt *not sure*

Hey Guys,

Got a laptop of a freinds here that has quite an interesting problem.
It came vista pre installed and a few days ago it stopped working. I'll
elaborate: It boots up but when it comes to the screen with "microsoft
Corporation" and a loading bar it hangs there, in effect "continually
the OS was in some way at fault so I downloaded a vista Repair disk (The
Laptop was bought with Vista so I dont have an install disk) and tried
to repair it using that. This was a failure. I went through the reapir
disk and it came up with the usuall "Your PC may restart several times,
if its fixed it will boot normally else the disk will run again and
continue" buisness. Now every time I got to a point where it wanted me
to restart I do so but the PC would then boot up and give me the "press
any key to boot CD" This confused me as if the reapair was incomplete
then shouldn't the CD boot automatically. At first I thought maybe it
had fixed the error first time. Sadly not. So I tried again and this
time pressed a key to go back to the CD expecting it to continue,
instead I start from the beggining. Now I figured that if the disk
wasn't going to repair the laptop then at least I could do something
useful with it. So I opened up CMD prompt and ran some checks, they all
seemed to indicate the Hard Disk was fine. But when I restarted the PC
and ran the HP disk Check, which is no doubt part of the BIOS, it came
up with a rather strange error message after 49% of the quick test.

Primary Hard Disk Self Test
49 % Complete .....
Failed - Replace Hard Disk 1 (Warranty ID - error code 10008)
Press (Esc) to Continue

Now that is as far as I've got. My freind says that he knows no reason
why it wont start and that there is no backup disks or the like with the
laptop (frankly I find that hard to believe but I'm working off his
assurances). Any Input on a solution or anything would be apreciated.

ChevronTango

--
ChevronTango
Old September 22nd 08, 01:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

ChevronTango wrote:

[...]

You've already got your answer: the hard drive has failed. Your friend
should contact HP with that Warranty ID error code for replacement. Your
description of the problem pointed to hardware failure and now you know
that at least the hard drive is bad. I say "at least" because certainly
other motherboard components could be bad but I would start with the hard
drive.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old September 22nd 08, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

It appears that the diagnostics you have used has indicated that the hard
drive has a problem, therefore I would be contacting HP tech support for a
replacement.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

Old September 23rd 08, 06:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cyberwolf[_2_]

ChevronTango;842325 Wrote:
[...]

Definitely sounds like a bad disk. Things happen even if you havent
owned it for long.

--
Cyberwolf
Old January 8th 09, 12:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tjn

Hey all,
I have a similar issue (predicting HDD failure /corruption) however
unfortunately, i do not have any built in diagnostic utilities in the
BIOS. Can anyone recommend & or suggest a free HDD bootable check
utility for my vista laptop?

Thank you in advanced,

tjn
tjn's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/tjn.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...es/1042326.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old January 8th 09, 12:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

tjn wrote:

Hey all,
I have a similar issue (predicting HDD failure /corruption) however
unfortunately, i do not have any built in diagnostic utilities in the
BIOS. Can anyone recommend & or suggest a free HDD bootable check
utility for my vista laptop?

None of us knows what the "similar issue is". See below for why. In the
meantime, if you are looking for a hard drive diagnostic utility, get one
from the drive mftr.'s website. Seagate's SeaTools also works well if you
can't find a utility from your drive mftr. or aren't sure what to use.

Now, here's why we don't see the post to which you refer:

You are not posting on a real forum as you think you are and you didn't
quote any of the thread to which you are replying. You are using a web
interface that leeches Usenet posts and most of the rest of us are using
real newsreaders. We don't see what you do. If you want to participate in
Usenet, the better way is to set up a newsreader. This is very easy to do
and I'll give you information about that below. If you prefer to use a
forum, then here are two excellent ones:

http://forum.aumha.org/index.php
http://http://computerhaven.info/

Since you are using a web interface, you may not realize that this is really
a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use
a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use
Outlook Express (XP) or Windows Mail (Vista) since you already have it.
Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief explanation
of newsgroups

Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outloo...snewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm

How to Post:
http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help on
Usenet

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is working
properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting