CF card not accessible

Old September 23rd 08, 11:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

Default CF card not accessible

I have a 6-in-1 internal USB card reader in my PC running Vista Home
Premium SP1. It recognized the CF card the first time (maybe the
first few times) I put a CF card in the reader. Now however it does
not. All the drives show up on the Computer screen but when I double
click on the G drive, it says I need to insert a drive. From the
Control Panel, I go to the Computer Manager/Disk Management screen and
it sees the G drive and it's formated 1.9GB RAW. Any ideas why I
can't get to this device?
Old September 24th 08, 10:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

Hard to say, but if there is nothing on it that you need to save, just go
into disk manager, and create a partition on it and format the partition
FAT32. Then assign a drive letter if it is not already there, and it should
appear in Computer as that drive. Now, if it is reported RAW because it has
died, none of this will work, and you need to see if you can read it
somewhere else. Good luck.

Old September 29th 08, 10:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

I could always plug this CF card into my other Vista PC card reader
and it would read the drive. So this time after I got the pictures
off, I formatted the drive in my camera. I put the CF card into the
problem PC and voila, the PC could read the card. I thought problem
solved. Not quite.

I took more pictures and once again, the PC can't read the drive. It
shows up as RAW in the Disk Management utility. So I took it to the
other PC that could read it before and I get the same result! It can't
read it either. Disk management reports it as RAW.

Any other ideas?

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:01:45 -0500, "Wandering"
wrote:

Hard to say, but if there is nothing on it that you need to save, just go
into disk manager, and create a partition on it and format the partition
FAT32. Then assign a drive letter if it is not already there, and it should
appear in Computer as that drive. Now, if it is reported RAW because it has
died, none of this will work, and you need to see if you can read it
somewhere else. Good luck.

.. .

Old September 29th 08, 01:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

With my digital camera I had the option if I formatted a card in the camera
to use PC format or another format whose "name" I do not remember.
If you put the card back in the camera can you use the camera's USB
interface to get the pictures into your PC?

wrote:

Hard to say, but if there is nothing on it that you need to save, just go
into disk manager, and create a partition on it and format the partition
FAT32. Then assign a drive letter if it is not already there, and it
should
appear in Computer as that drive. Now, if it is reported RAW because it
has
died, none of this will work, and you need to see if you can read it
somewhere else. Good luck.

. ..

Old September 30th 08, 02:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

Since two machines report the card a raw, the problem almost certainly lies
in the card. They are very cheap nowadays, and it is a good idea to have a
spare. They have a limited life, determined mostly by the number of writes.
Don't expect them to last very long in camera use. It is worth saying that
better brands do better. You can try formatting in the pc instead of the
camera. It has more power available to write the necessary data. Never
format in the camera unless the batteries are fresh or freshly charged.

Good luck.

wrote:

Hard to say, but if there is nothing on it that you need to save, just go
into disk manager, and create a partition on it and format the partition
FAT32. Then assign a drive letter if it is not already there, and it
should
appear in Computer as that drive. Now, if it is reported RAW because it
has
died, none of this will work, and you need to see if you can read it
somewhere else. Good luck.

. ..