vista client pc on domain cannot access networked attached storage

Old September 24th 08, 11:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
-keevill-[_3_]

Default vista client pc on domain cannot access networked attached storage

I have a windows 2003 active dir domain and most of the clients pcs are
winxp. I have now introduced a new vista pc and whilst it can join the
domain ok and can access most resources, there is an issue with a NAS box .
I am using windows AD permissions for the NAS and all the XP clients can
login without any trouble. However, when I login using the Vista pc , a
login box appears to input the username / password which it does not using
XP and when I enter the user details, I get login incorrect.
Is there some setting I need to enable in Vista to allow this login to be
achieved and hopefully seamless without the login box ?

-keevill-

Old September 24th 08, 12:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
LedZled

Sounds like it's either "NTLMv2.0" or "autotuning"-related . Both
problems have been dealt wiht several times in this and other forums.
Use the search function on this site and try suggested actions.

--
LedZled

Old September 24th 08, 12:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Malke[_2_]

-keevill- wrote:

I have a windows 2003 active dir domain and most of the clients pcs are
winxp. I have now introduced a new vista pc and whilst it can join the
domain ok and can access most resources, there is an issue with a NAS box
. I am using windows AD permissions for the NAS and all the XP clients can
login without any trouble. However, when I login using the Vista pc , a
login box appears to input the username / password which it does not using
XP and when I enter the user details, I get login incorrect.
Is there some setting I need to enable in Vista to allow this login to be
achieved and hopefully seamless without the login box ?

Most NAS devices run some version of embedded Linux. Earlier versions of
Samba (the protocol that allows traffic between *nix and Windows boxen)
aren't compatible with Vista. Check with the NAS mftr. for updated firmware
and/or any workarounds.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old September 24th 08, 06:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
LedZled[_2_]

Malke;1005616 Wrote:
-Malke- wrote:

Most NAS devices run some version of embedded Linux. Earlier versions
of
Samba (the protocol that allows traffic between *nix and Windows boxen)
aren't compatible with Vista. Check with the NAS mftr. for updated
firmware
and/or any workarounds.

Well - as true as that is, I had problems connecting to my WD NetCenter
from Vista until I found a post somewhere about the NTLMv2.0 problem.
Here's how I fixed it (quote from 'CoNetrix | Problem with Vista and
Western Digital NetCenter NAS' (http://tinyurl.com/3kz35o) ) :

The default local security policy on Windows Vista is set to use NTLM
v2 only. After some off and on troubleshooting I finally discovered this
was preventing me from accessing my Western Digital NetCenter NAS. The
following procedure changes the policy to allow older Lan Manager
Protocols if needed:

- Run MMC snap-in secpol.msc
- Expand Local Policies - Security Options
- Find Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
- Double click and change to “Send LM and NTLM – use
NTLMv2 session security if negotiated”

Be advised that this is not recommended by Msft since it means
"degrading" Vista's security to that of XP. As long as you're at home in
your private network I can't really see that as a major concern,
though.

--
LedZled

Old September 25th 08, 11:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
-keevill-[_3_]

"LedZled" wrote in message

Sounds like it's either "NTLMv2.0" or "autotuning"-related . Both
problems have been dealt wiht several times in this and other forums.
Use the search function on this site and try suggested actions.

--
LedZled

/good posting. it sorted my problem out !
Thx
-keevill-