How to move "Program Files" to another drive/partition

Old December 21st 06, 12:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Pud

Default How to move "Program Files" to another drive/partition

The way I have had my past several machines configured is to have a number of
different drives/partitions configured eg 'System' (C, 'Programs (P,
Files (F which contains 'My Documents', downloads, Setup and other files etc

On XP this was achieved by the brute force method - boot to 'Safe Mode',
move the 'Program Files' folder from C: to P: and then edit the registry,
changing every occurence of 'C:\Pro' to 'P:\Pro'. After this and rebooting
the machine worked fine and all new programs installed to the new drive.

I've recently downloaded 'Vista Ultimate' and have attempted to do the same
as formerly on XP as detailed, but after rebooting many programs will not
work, and running a Setup file from CD throws up an error.

Is there a means by which this can be achieved as it does make backup of the
System drive (C somewhat quicker.

Old December 21st 06, 01:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Bill Frisbee

You can move the profiles via Local Policy via the MMC. It takes a little
work, but it does indeed work.

Bill F.

Old May 30th 08, 12:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
reinux[_3_]

Hey people, I figured out a good way to do this.

Start the computer with the Vista installer CD and run the system
recovery tool -- specifically, the command prompt. Windows will have
some files in the Users and Program Files folders locked, so it has to
be done from another OS instance.

First we xcopy the Users and Program Files folders to the destination
drive; then we rename (or remove) the original folders and replace them
with 'junctions' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point)
pointing to the copied folders. For all intents and purposes, Vista
becomes oblivious to the fact that anything had moved. You don't have to
tinker with the registry.

I think this trick would probably work for Windows XP as well.

I've made a .bat script that does this; you can either use this or
punch everything in in the command prompt yourself. %1 is assumed to be
the source drive and %2 is assumed to be the destination drive. Be sure
to specify these parameters before you run the script.

Code:
--------------------

%2
cd \
mkdir "Program Files"
cd "Program Files"
%1
xcopy "%1\Program Files" %2 /s /h
rename "Program Files" "Program Files_"
mklink /j "Program Files" "%2\Program Files"

%2
cd \
mkdir "Users"
cd "Users"
%1
xcopy "%1\Users" %2 /s /h
rename "Users" "Users_"
mklink /j "Users" "%2\Users"

--------------------

Sample usage would be as follows:

Code:
--------------------
movefolders.bat c: b:
--------------------

Hope this helps,

Rei

--
reinux

Old May 30th 08, 09:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Mick Murphy

WHY?
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old May 30th 08, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
reinux[_4_]

Because I want my Program Files and User profiles on my software RAID.
Windows can't be installed to a software RAID.

--
reinux

Old May 3rd 10, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Gew

I have another theory on solving this issue.
I'd like to keep NTFS junction points out of the picture.
Therefor, my solution goes something like this.

Change the following registry key:
-HKEY LOCAL
MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ ProgramFilesDir\-

This is Windows main reference on %PROGRAMFILES%. Thing is, Windows
itself is locking many of the files within this folder, so you can't
re-target the whole folder right away. So, grab an
FreeDOS/MSDOS/Hiren/whatever boot disc, and then move (eg. -'ren
"C:\Program Files" "D:\Progs"'-)

Some people say you could just boot into fail-safe mode, and you'd be
able to rename the directory. I haven't tried it, so I wouldn't know. To
be honest, I havn't tried this method at all, it's all theory for now.
But it sounds like a plan. Just to be safe, after successfully booting
with the new main registry key, plus the changed directory, you could
search the registry in its whole for oldisch \Program files\ entries,
and pull a simple "Replace all" on that.

So, any thoughts, ideas?

--
Gew

Old May 3rd 10, 03:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Badger[_3_]

Why try so hard to complicate a proven operating system?
All you are doing is slowing the system down.

Old May 4th 10, 01:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Gew[_2_]

"Gew" wrote in message

[...]

How am I slowing Windoze down by changing this key? After all, the
regkey is for reference, huh? The idea is -- of course -- that I dislike
the 'long path' of default %PROGRAMFILES%. I'm using NTFS junction
points to have access through eg. C:\P\ for now, but moving the whole
kit and kaboodle sounds nifty to me!

--
Gew