Vista Banter

-   -   Windows FAX & Scan and Canon MP780 (http://www.vistabanter.com/142100-windows-fax-scan-canon-mp780.html)

PvdG42 September 30th 08 07:41 PM

Windows FAX & Scan and Canon MP780

I have an MP780 attached directly to my Vista Ultimate box and I'm trying to
get the FAX function going as the FAX software that came with the 780 is not
Vista-compatible. I have full scan, copy and print functionality, and it
appears that Vista recognizes the 780 FAX functionality because I was able
to add "Canon MP780 FAX" as a device in Control Panel-Printers. It shows as
ready.

OTOH, Windows FAX and Scan appears not to see the 780 FAX as either a local
(which I think would be correct as the 780 is physically connected to the
box via USB and also connected to a phone jack) or a network FAX device. If
I connect the 780 to an XP box, using the Canon-supplied software, I have no
issues sending FAXes.

So, what am I missing here? Seems odd that Vista can see it, but the FAX &
Scan applet cannot.

Any insights or advice gratefully welcomed, except suggestions that I switch
to Linux, downgrade to XP or buy a new multi-function device.
Why? 'Cause I'm a cheapskate and the 780 performance is great and the
non-chip ink cartridges are cheap compared to the newer ones. All printing,
photo work, copying and scanning is fine. I'm gonna use it until it falls
apart :-)

TIA!

Paul Montgomery[_3_] September 30th 08 11:02 PM

Windows FAX & Scan and Canon MP780

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:41:38 -0500, "PvdG42"
wrote:

Any insights or advice gratefully welcomed, except suggestions that I switch
to Linux, downgrade to XP or buy a new multi-function device.

Download the damned Vista drivers/software from the Canon site. It's
there.

PvdG42 October 1st 08 03:30 AM

wrote:

Any insights or advice gratefully welcomed, except suggestions that I
switch
to Linux, downgrade to XP or buy a new multi-function device.

Download the damned Vista drivers/software from the Canon site. It's
there.

Been there, done that. As I said, the print, scan, copy functions all work
fine, except there is no new FAX software version provided. Since the FAX is
recognized by Vista, I was hoping the FAX & Scan applet could be made to
work. Guess I'll have to investigate commercial solutions.

PvdG42 October 1st 08 03:32 AM

"DL" address@invalid wrote in message
Does Cannon support not have Vista compatible updated software/drivers?

Yes, and I've downloaded and used all the Vista drivers and software
available. Unfortunately, Canon does not have a Vista-compatible version of
the FAX software available for download. That's why I was grasping at straws
trying to get the FAX & Scan applet to work.

Paul Montgomery[_3_] October 1st 08 04:42 AM

Windows FAX & Scan and Canon MP780

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 22:30:03 -0500, "PvdG42"
wrote:

.. .

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...tibility-mode/

bjr October 1st 08 01:27 PM

Windows FAX & Scan and Canon MP780

If it's a standalone fax (in the unit itself) like my Canon MP530, there
IS no FAX software for any version of Windows. You use the buttons on
the MP machine like a fax machine to send a fax. To my knowledge,
Windows has never supported interfacing with standalone faxes. I have
set up 3in1 printers that use an already existing fax/modem to send
faxes, but all the 4in1s that I have set up (including HP, Brother,
Epson )DO NOT come with fax software.