Safe to eliminate duplicate files?

Old October 4th 08, 11:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
SIW2

Default Safe to eliminate duplicate files?

Gerhard;851344 Wrote:
Safe to eliminate duplicate files?

I wanted to eliminate duplicate files that had accumulated over time.
So, I
used Easy Duplicate Finder 'Easy Duplicate File Finder - Delete
Duplicate Files' (http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com)
(protecting however system folders and other system files
*.sys,.*ocx,*drv,*dll) and was quite surprised by the large number of
duplicate files.

But perhaps these duplicates are necessary?
I noticed, that very often the same file, e.g. windows.edb, is located
in
two locations:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\ Windows and also in
C:\Users\AllUsers\ Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows.
Is it safe, to delete one of them?
Or more general, is it safe to eliminate all thus identified duplicate
files
in windows vista home premium?

Thanks in advance, Gerhard

Hello,

I believe most of those those apps., like doublekiller and the one you
are using are only intended to be run on folders containing your own
pictures, documents, etc. If Vista decides it needs copies or apparent
copies - best let it keep them.

A safer idea may be to keep all your personal docs, pics, etc. on a
separate partition from the operating system - any cleaning you do of
that partition won't damage the o/s.

Then use proper disk cleaning tools like Vista's own to keep the o/s
partition in shape.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...k-cleanup.html

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/87...ta-64-bit.html

You may like to try the free glaryutilities. It has a duplicate finder
function , which can search the other way round - only looking for files
it knows are safe. I just ran it on my C drive and it reported no
duplicates belonging to the o/s.

'Glary Utilities | Glarysoft' (http://www.glarysoft.com)

Hope that helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Old October 7th 08, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Cleaner007[_11_]

Gerhard;895070 Wrote:
[...]

I use to 'remove duplicate files'
(http://www.moleskinsoft.com/remove-duplicate-files) Clone Remover. Very
good app.

--
Cleaner007

Old October 7th 08, 10:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:59:27 -0500, Cleaner007
wrote:

I use to 'remove duplicate files'
[URL and name snipped]. Very
good app.

--
Cleaner007

"Cleaner007" is a shill.

When a post can't be found to make that reply to, one will be created
asking if anyone knows of a similar product.

There are FREE products available.
Old October 12th 08, 04:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Allan Braun

Default Is it safe

When in doubt - do not delete the file

I use Directory Report to find my duplicate files
http://www.file-utilities.com/downloads/wdir.zip

Old June 17th 09, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rose82

I used to delete duplicate files 'duplicate music finder'
(http://www.fileutilityblog.com/archives/228), which is called Clone
Remover. IIt works not only with the music files. What do you think
about it?
Thank you.

--
Rose82

Old July 8th 09, 11:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
wonn1377

Use duplicate finder 2009,it helps me to find and 'delete duplicate
files' (http://www.duplicate-finder-pro.com/...ate-files.htm),
This program is very fast, professional and with a good interface.

'click here' (http://www.duplicate-finder-pro.com) to downdoad free
trial...

--
wonn1377

Old August 23rd 09, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
pigpen1012

I'm new to the forums and came on here to specifically have this very
same question answered. I ran Glary Utilties Duplicate File Finder and
came up with duplicate files in both the Program Data and User folders.
I'd like to do some "before school starts" cleaning up. I have LOTS of
duplicates and need to know if it is safer to delete files in the
Program Data folder or the User folder. Please don't rag on me like
happened above. I'd like a nice, courteous reply that doesn't belittle
my far less superior knowledge than those I'm coming to for help. I'm
sure I'm not the only one looking for an answer to may be a very simple
question to some. Thanks for whatever help you can give.

--
pigpen1012
Old August 23rd 09, 10:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bill Daggett

pigpen1012 wrote:

I'm new to the forums and came on here to specifically have this very
same question answered. I ran Glary Utilties Duplicate File Finder and
came up with duplicate files in both the Program Data and User folders.
I'd like to do some "before school starts" cleaning up. I have LOTS of
duplicates and need to know if it is safer to delete files in the
Program Data folder or the User folder. Please don't rag on me like
happened above. I'd like a nice, courteous reply that doesn't belittle
my far less superior knowledge than those I'm coming to for help. I'm
sure I'm not the only one looking for an answer to may be a very simple
question to some. Thanks for whatever help you can give.

Vista puts copies of lots of files in different places. It would ONLY
be safe for you to delete duplicates in your data folders.

First rule: if you don't know WTF you're doing, don't do it.
Old September 9th 09, 06:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
jean3167[_2_]

Use duplicate finder, it helped me to find and 'delete duplicate files'
(http://www.duplicate-finder-pro.com/...cate-files.htm) from my
pc, it has great feature in which u can move or delete the selected
files or folders. i found it on google search it says it can remove
duplicates with great accurecy.

--
jean3167

Old March 13th 13, 11:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

петак, 03. октобар 2008. 03.44.01 UTC+2, Gerhard је написао/ла:

used Easy Duplicate Finder http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com

If you want to delete your duplicates safely, try this software "Duplicate Files Deleter" from http://DuplicateFilesDeleter.com. You can manage any duplicate files without worries and it's safe to use. There's a quick video on how to use this software from their website. It's the best way to manage unnecessary duplicate files.