no bootable disks after restart - BIOHD-3 error

Old October 6th 08, 12:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ann_mac

Default no bootable disks after restart - BIOHD-3 error

was trying to copy data from a dvd to external usb when pc hung - i
tried to cancel the copy but it was unresponsive - i removed the disc
and it displayed an error saying no cd in drive so tried to cancel again
but nothing so i selected restart from menu - error was still on screen
when it shut down and external drive was still atached - pc tried to
start up but display dropped back to a flashing cursor - removed usb
and disk rebooted but still the same - tried hard reboot, same - unable
to boot in safe mode - unable to select (f8) or (f5) from initial screen
- only options i am offered are (ctrl-i)disk config util, (f10)bios and
(esc)boot order (f6)diagnostics, (f11) is the repair option but nothing
happens if i try and select this - diagnostics reports "BIOHD-3 error -
no bootable disks contact hp" - have two 750Mb HDD which are both
detected in bios - have been through hp's suggested fixes - have tried
disconecting them and changing boot order - pc is x64 hp pavillion elite
m9793 with vista home premium - do not have x64 boot disk i stupidly did
not use the image stored on second drive to create them - only had it 5
weeks but is full of data - is it possible disks are in a non-bootable
state and if so how do i change this? or could HD controller have a
problem? - drives are sata and my other pc is ide so cannot check if
disks or data is ok - can anyone please help?

called hp who said they dont send out disks i should have used the
utility

--
ann_mac
Old October 6th 08, 01:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scrooge[_63_]

did you check the boot order in your bios and make sure it didn't get
changed somehow? try one drive and if it don't boot try the other. are
you using (raid)
if so it may have failed .
scrooge

--
scrooge

ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP P35 ATX Intel
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 / 3.00 GHz processor
SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Thermaltake Toughpower 600W Power Supply
Old October 6th 08, 01:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ann_mac

Hi Thanks for your quick response

I can get into the disk config utility and it reports no raid on both
disks not sure if it was setup before, had never looked but it does give
me the option to setup raid -got as far as asksing for a volume name but
i didnt go any further as I wasnt sure if it would destroy existing
files - I didnt want to lose any data - do you think I should set it up?

I tried changing the boot order but the diagnostic utility says no
bootable disk, it sees both disks and checks them aslong with memory
processor etc, they pass the tests - also tried booting with an xp sp1
32bit disk but pc blue screened after checking hardware, maybe needs
64bit drivers etc - not too sure - just wish i had backed it up

not sure what to do.....hp wont send a disk and i cant read the HD with
the image on it.

--
ann_mac
Old October 6th 08, 02:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scrooge[_63_]

don't setup raid cause you will lose any data on your drives....
do you have more then 1 system? if so maybe you can take the harddrive
out
of the one that wont boot and connect it to the other system and make a
boot
disk. other then that i'm not sure what you can do sorry.

scrooge

Old October 6th 08, 02:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ann_mac

sounds pretty hopeless, my other system is 32bit and I only have xp sp1
setup disks but will give it a go, thanks for your help though...Ann

--
ann_mac

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 1333MHz FSB 6MB Cache
4GB RAM 1TB + 500GB + 500GB Hard Drives
1024MB nVidia GeForce 9800 GT
Old October 6th 08, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SCSIraidGURU

Turn off the computer. Unplug the external USB drives. Go into the
BIOS and see if your drives show up. Do they show up on POST? What
kind of RAID did you have? Did a drive fail? Do you hear any clicking?

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)
Old October 6th 08, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
andy

Try: How to Make a Windows Vista Repair Disk If You Don't Have One
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-make-a-windows-vista-repair-disk-if-you-dont-have-one/

Old October 6th 08, 10:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ann_mac

thanks for that, it sounds ideal will try and source the iso, cant get
torrents unfortunately

:huh: