problems with my USB devices such as flash disk and memory reader

Old December 22nd 06, 08:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SOUTY

Default problems with my USB devices such as flash disk and memory reader

windows can't recognize my USB devices it can't instal a driver although it
works without a driver in windows sp3
my vista is 32bit RTM
i have a mp3 player and memory reader
Old December 22nd 06, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst

If you are connecting through a hub, remove it and connect directly to see
if they work that way.

Old December 22nd 06, 05:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White, MVP

Hi, SOUTY.

works without a driver in windows sp3

What is Windows SP3?

Do you mean Windows XP with SP2? Or some other version? Did it come
pre-installed on your computer?

It might help also if you tell us the make and model of your computer and
the USB card, if not built in.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Mail 7.0 in Vista Ultimate x64)

Old December 22nd 06, 05:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SOUTY

Default problems with my USB devices such as flash disk and memory rea

i have p4 3ghz with mother board intel chipset 945 and i have a mp3 player
and memory reader i noticed that our ports of USB doesn't work with vista
ultimate RTM
but it works without problems with other versions of windows XP thanks for
ur care

Hi, SOUTY.

Old December 23rd 06, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gimli

I'm having a similar problem.

I'm running Vista Ultimate RTM x64. I used to be able to use my USB flash
drives without a problem but for whatever reason it stopped working in the
last couple of days.

The only change I figure could've caused that is that I bought a MS USB
keyboard and installed the 64-bit version of IntelliType Pro. The keyboard
still works fine, so is my MS wireless mouse (using a USB Bluetooth dongle)
but whenever I plug in a USB flash drive it gets power (the light turns on)
but Vista doesn't see it.

Again, the very same flash drives used to work fine on this very same system
a few days ago, both connected directly or using my USB 2.0 hub.

Now I'm tempted to uninstall Intellitype to see if I get the functionality
back...

Has anyone experienced this before and found a way around it?

Old December 23rd 06, 02:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Theo

You should post you exact hardware configuration for this
type of problem.

I have a MSI K8T800Pro Neo2 motherboard with both Vista x86
& x64, RC2, and I have never encountered any USB problems.

It is my opinion these USB problems are hardware related
from the perspective that Vista either has a bug in it
induced by Microsoft, or that Microsoft has not received the
appropriate software from the vendors to include in the
baseline OS.

P.S.

Service Pack 3 (SP3) currently does not exist for Windows XP!

Old December 23rd 06, 03:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Raymond Lang

"Theo" wrote:

You should post you exact hardware configuration for this
type of problem.

I have a MSI K8T800Pro Neo2 motherboard with both Vista x86
& x64, RC2, and I have never encountered any USB problems.

Your motherboard uses a VIA chipset. Mine (an Abit KN8 Ultra) uses the
nForce 4 Ultra chipset, and USB is not functioning on either the x86 or the
x64 versions. Now admittedly I have 3gb of memory in my system, and that is
a contributing factor to the problems I have (it'll work without issue when
you have 2gb or less) but the issue in my case is that it should work with
3gb, 4gb or more of onboard memory. With my issues, I'm convinced it was
either a slip-up somewhere or a quality control problem that escaped notice.

It is my opinion these USB problems are hardware related
from the perspective that Vista either has a bug in it
induced by Microsoft, or that Microsoft has not received the
appropriate software from the vendors to include in the
baseline OS.

That brings up an interesting issue. Are the Microsoft USB drivers
universal in nature, or are they chipset specific. Since USB specifications
are written in stone, the theory is that they should work with any vendor's
chipset, unless the implementation of the standards include vendor-specific
code. The reason I ask is does anyone have 3gb in their systems with VIA or
Intel chipsets and aren't having a problem, or if people are having the same
issues, is there an issue with the Microsoft USB drivers themselves?

Old December 23rd 06, 03:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gimli

I have an MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition MB with (surprise!) the Intel
975X chipset. I did install the 975X chipset drivers from Intel and now I've
noticed that all 4 USB ports that are on the MB's back panel work (which is
why my mouse and keyboard kept working) but the 4 ports that use internal
connectors on the MB (2 on the front case and 2 on the special slot riser
provided by MSI) won't work. They all seem to be running the same updated
driver from what I can see in the device manager and yes, they're connected
to the MB properly (remember these used to work a few days ago).

That's really strange... but at least now I know to plug my hub straight
into one of the MB's back panel USB port and I've got enough working USB
ports for daily activities.

Old December 23rd 06, 06:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Theo

That's an excellent question. Although they have a certain
standard for the interface to communicate with a peripheral,
they could still have different methods of implementing that
interface and thus have slightly different driver
implementations. The software, or specifications, the
vendor would still be the responsible for supplying that to
Microsoft.