Dell - flashing amber light before post

Old October 8th 08, 02:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
damocles[_9_]

Default Dell - flashing amber light before post

My mates Dell precision 690 workstation suffers from the dreaded
flashing amber light with diagnostic error code 1 and 3 before post.

It won't boot at all - just the flashing amber light starts when you
turn it on.

According to other websites this seems to indicate a power failure of
some description. Has anyone resolved this issue with Dells...next stage
is probably an RMA - but my friend would appreciate any* first hand
*advice ( not stuff copied off the web as we've seen most of what the
web has to offer with no success ) before having to do return it......

Thanks in advance

Chris,

BTW....I didn't touch it!

--
damocles
Old October 8th 08, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nogginsaked

Why waste your time here rather than on hold to Dell tech support?
This is a catastrophic failure.
You should hope it is just the power supply. Most Dells use a proprietary
power connector to the motherboard so you must work through Dell.

Old October 9th 08, 11:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
damocles[_9_]

Well, people here are very knowledgeable and have provided me with very
useful help in the past.

*-As-* it's not my computer (i'd never buy a Dell), it's not up to me
to do the tech support. Instead I am helping my mate out who has the
problem and I wanted to see if there is anyone else out there who has
experienced the same thing.

So, the Dell's kaput then?....So much for the 'Dells are best you can
buy nonsense I hear all the time'

Chris

--
damocles
Old October 9th 08, 11:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

"damocles" wrote in message

Well, people here are very knowledgeable and have provided me with very
useful help in the past.

*-As-* it's not my computer (i'd never buy a Dell), it's not up to me
to do the tech support. Instead I am helping my mate out who has the
problem and I wanted to see if there is anyone else out there who has
experienced the same thing.

So, the Dell's kaput then?....So much for the 'Dells are best you can
buy nonsense I hear all the time'

Chris

--
damocles

It could happen to any make..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old October 9th 08, 12:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
damocles[_9_]

Yeah, I know - but apparently 'Dell's DON'T break'......

something to do with -Dell delusion-

--
damocles
Old October 9th 08, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cleve S.

I have a network of about 70 Dell Dimensions. A few, 2 or 3, have had a
flashing yellow power light. They have regular ATA power supplies, I don't
know about yours. Replacing the power supply fixed them. In my experience
Dells are reliable, much better than the handful of Gateways & HPs I have.

Old October 9th 08, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tanuj_chadha[_8_]

I also use a dell system. It works like a charm. What you can do is you
can check the support website for dell. support.dell.com. You can check
the website & the dell community forum. If you want to do that. Try to
unplug parts one by one & check what is causing the problem.

--
tanuj_chadha

Tanuj

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. - Karl
Marx :geek:
Old October 10th 08, 01:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ferd Burfel

After seeing this a couple of hundred times over the last few years, it's
probably the power supply.

Flashing amber = power supply
Steady amber = motherboard

But check the motherboard for "swollen" capacitors. I have seen the MB go
and then take the PS with it.

Ferd

Old October 10th 08, 07:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
damocles[_9_]

Thanks guys - I shall pass it on!

BTW, a 42 page post on this issue in the dell support forum suggests
there is a major issue that needs to addressed with the power quality
power supply....in my book that's not reliable ( just my 1p )

--
damocles