going 64

Old October 9th 08, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Drew

Default going 64

This may have been answered a million times or more but I am not really sure
how to pose this question in order to research.. I am going to be switching
to 64bit and was wondering how one would find out if things will work in
64bit such as my antispyware, antivirus, e-mail, and such.. I have drivers
for my printer so I know that will work but what about internal cd/dvd
burners ? Do they require drivers in 64bit ? or for that fact how about a
mouse and keyboard ??..Will any of the newer games work or do I need
something for them ?? Any points in direction for this would be
appreciated.. Thanks in advance as always

Old October 9th 08, 01:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Unless you have programs that were expressly developed for optimization
for a 64-bit operating system, I would recommend that you retain your
32-bit operating system. Your system will not perform a quicker. In fact,
your 32-bit programs will run a bit slower on a 64-bit operating system.

32-bit apps running on Vista 64-bit have to "thunk" through the WoW64
(Windows on Windows") subsystem, which is how 32-bit Windows apps
run on Vista 64-bit.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Drew" wrote in message ...
This may have been answered a million times or more but I am not really sure
how to pose this question in order to research.. I am going to be switching
to 64bit and was wondering how one would find out if things will work in
64bit such as my antispyware, antivirus, e-mail, and such.. I have drivers
for my printer so I know that will work but what about internal cd/dvd
burners ? Do they require drivers in 64bit ? or for that fact how about a
mouse and keyboard ??..Will any of the newer games work or do I need
something for them ?? Any points in direction for this would be
appreciated.. Thanks in advance as always

Old October 9th 08, 01:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Christian B.

"Drew" wrote:

This may have been answered a million times or more but I am not really sure
how to pose this question in order to research.. I am going to be switching
to 64bit and was wondering how one would find out if things will work in
64bit such as my antispyware, antivirus, e-mail, and such.. I have drivers
for my printer so I know that will work but what about internal cd/dvd
burners ? Do they require drivers in 64bit ? or for that fact how about a
mouse and keyboard ??..Will any of the newer games work or do I need
something for them ?? Any points in direction for this would be
appreciated.. Thanks in advance as always

Hi Drew,

Nearly every hardware manufacturer offers drivers for 64bit Vista, so no
problem there But better take a look first on the homepage of your
manufacturer.
Regarding games, you don`t need something special, just install them, but
take notice if they support 64bit OS, like Assasin`s Creed.

BUT BE AWA SADLY, Vista 64bit HAS MANY BUGS AND PROBLEMS, MORE THAN 32bit!
Especially ATI and Nvidia Graphiccards suffer from problems and driverbugs,
so there is a big risk of having many problems if upgrading to 64bit.

Old October 9th 08, 03:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Andy [YaYa]

"Drew" wrote in
:

This may have been answered a million times or more but I am not
really sure how to pose this question in order to research.. I am
going to be switching to 64bit and was wondering how one would find
out if things will work in 64bit such as my antispyware, antivirus,
e-mail, and such.. I have drivers for my printer so I know that will
work but what about internal cd/dvd burners ? Do they require drivers
in 64bit ? or for that fact how about a mouse and keyboard ??..Will
any of the newer games work or do I need something for them ?? Any
points in direction for this would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance
as always

Short Answer: Don't sweat it, 32-bit apps run fine in 64-bit Vista, but
you may have the occasional issue.

Long Answer: Best Buy sells 2/3's of their notebooks in store with 64-
bit Vista. Our #1 problem when Vista x64 took off was selling security
packages, a lot of the anti-virus apps didn't support 64-bit off the CD,
but thankfully all of them offered downloadable 64-bit clients, and now
I haven't found any anti virus program that doesn't say "Supports 64-
bit" on the box

It's suprising that it seems the perception is still, "Oh 64-bit OS
doesn't run 32-bit applications." but it does, the only application it
doesn't run is 16-bit, and usually that's the installer that's the
problem. Something easily fixed by the software manufacturer, or some
enterprising, independent software devs.

so ?? there.. you ?? have IT.

--
-A.
Old October 9th 08, 04:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Peter Foldes

Retain your 32 bit system. Only Upgrade to 64 bit if your program(s) (s) (s) warrant it.

Notice the (s) after programs. If only 1 needs it then stick with 32 bit but if multiple programs demand it then and only then upgrade to 64bit

--
Peter

"Drew" wrote in message ...
This may have been answered a million times or more but I am not really sure
how to pose this question in order to research.. I am going to be switching
to 64bit and was wondering how one would find out if things will work in
64bit such as my antispyware, antivirus, e-mail, and such.. I have drivers
for my printer so I know that will work but what about internal cd/dvd
burners ? Do they require drivers in 64bit ? or for that fact how about a
mouse and keyboard ??..Will any of the newer games work or do I need
something for them ?? Any points in direction for this would be
appreciated.. Thanks in advance as always

Old October 9th 08, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Vernon Balbert

On 10/9/2008 6:21 AM, Drew went clickity clack on the keyboard and
produced this interesting bit of text:
This may have been answered a million times or more but I am not really
sure how to pose this question in order to research.. I am going to be
switching to 64bit and was wondering how one would find out if things
will work in 64bit such as my antispyware, antivirus, e-mail, and such..
I have drivers for my printer so I know that will work but what about
internal cd/dvd burners ? Do they require drivers in 64bit ? or for that
fact how about a mouse and keyboard ??..Will any of the newer games work
or do I need something for them ?? Any points in direction for this
would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance as always

I just upgraded from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Vista with no problems except
two tiny things which, for me, have easy solutions.

The first is that I have a little clock that I liked that was a 16-bit
app from the Windows 3.x days. It won't run under Vista, but I don't
really have an issue with that. Plenty of other clocks that will run
just fine.

The second, and potentially more problematic, is that Palm's Hotsync
software won't connect via USB to my Treo. However, since the phone has
Bluetooth, I just go through the Bluetooth dongle I already have.
Problem solved.

--
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Well, I think so Brain, but what if we stick to the seat covers?"
Old October 10th 08, 12:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Bob Campbell[_2_]

"Drew" wrote in message
This may have been answered a million times or more but I am not really
sure how to pose this question in order to research.. I am going to be
switching to 64bit and was wondering how one would find out if things will
work in 64bit such as my antispyware, antivirus, e-mail, and such.. I have
drivers for my printer so I know that will work but what about internal
cd/dvd burners ? Do they require drivers in 64bit ? or for that fact how
about a mouse and keyboard ??..Will any of the newer games work or do I
need something for them ?? Any points in direction for this would be
appreciated.. Thanks in advance as always

Nearly all 32 bit apps run just fine. I run 64 bit Ultimate here with no
issues. I need the extra RAM that 64 bit allows. It breaks thru the "3.2
GB barrier" of 32 bit Vista, and I'm about to go to 8 GB. I run Virtual PC
with several guests running simultaneously for development work. It all
runs fine.

Drivers used to be a real issue, but not so much these days. Nearly
everyone is supporting 64 bit now, as they should. 32 bit days are
numbered.

Unless you have a really old printer/scanner/video card/network card or
something that will never have a 64 bit driver, that you absolutely MUST
use, then moving to 64 bit is easy and painless. All of my hardware is
supported, even my 10+ year old HP LaserJet 4 printer!

Old October 10th 08, 02:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
the granter of sina

Stupid advice, and dangerous too!

Going to 64 now is a stupid move. Give him your tel number in order to
support him with tech problems and morally since
he will be having big headaches with your arrogant advice. Also give him
your credit card number in case his hardware peripherals wont work and he
will need new ones.

The environment is not ready yet. Perhaps in 1 or 2 years it will be more
mainstream.

"Bob Campbell" wrote in message
m...
"Drew" wrote in message
[...]

Old October 10th 08, 03:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Paul MontGumDropped

the granter of sina wrote:
I know it moron. I also know you are a moron, ok moron?

Correction here because I am no god or goddess of IT that you pretend
to be you worthless behind-wipe goddess.

You are a continuous *clown* you Mrs. Soapbox Moses with a lot of
worthless lip service in *these* NG(s) that you can't back-up.
Old October 10th 08, 05:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Frank[_58_]

the granter of sina wrote:

Stupid advice, and dangerous too!

Ahhhh...the great moron idiot loser help desk worker is about to make a
fool out of himself.
Please continue!

Going to 64 now is a stupid move. Give him your tel number in order to
support him with tech problems and morally since
he will be having big headaches with your arrogant advice. Also give him
your credit card number in case his hardware peripherals wont work and
he will need new ones.

WoW! Amazing just quickly you're able to do that...make a fool out of
yourself.

The environment is not ready yet. Perhaps in 1 or 2 years it will be
more mainstream.

I guess you can't read. Millions of us have been using X64 XP and now
X64 Vista for yrs.
I have two little apps that won't run on X64 and I don't care about
them. Otherwise X64 has been my personal OS for yrs.
Tell me something...how can you shove both feet into your mouth and your
head up your ass at the same time?
I've often wonder yet I've witnessed you do that so very often...?