What is a hard drive RAID configuration

Old October 12th 08, 11:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scousa4lyf

Default What is a hard drive RAID configuration

i have been thinking of upgrading my system and i am going to get a new
MOBO and other internal hardware.. i have heard about RAID configuration
and i was wondering if someone could explain to me the benefits and what
hardware i need to get.. i am currently using a 500GB ATA.... i do
understand that i would have to reinstall vista when changing the
motherboard...

if someone could just explain about the RAID configuration.. it would
really help when it comes to upgrading my system

thanks

--
scousa4lyf

If it helps, just click the scales (top right of this message) to give
me a lil bit of reputation..thanks
Old October 12th 08, 11:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
barman58

Hi Scousa,

have a look here ...
'RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID)

this will give you a grounding in the subject.
couple of points

- Don't rely on RAID as your only backup
- Use a hardware controller not the software raid on the MB

Raid is used a lot in servers to provide redundancy where downtime is
not acceptable and looks attractive but can be a Pain in the A** to
maintain

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Old October 12th 08, 12:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scousa4lyf

upon reading the article,, i think its safe to say, im sticking with ATA
haha.. thanks anyway...

Old October 12th 08, 12:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
barman58

You're welcome,

it has it's place and has meant that I didn't have to rush into work to
sort things out in the past, but in the real world Raid problems are
probably more common than Drive failures

Old October 13th 08, 10:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scousa4lyf

its just that heard someone say, it speed's up the perofrmance of the
computer, depending on what setting you use. but really, all im looking
for is graphics and memory performance anyway, so sticking with a 7200
ATA will suit me down to the ground.. just gonna get upgrade mobo XFX
790i, more ram 4GB,and then move on to OC my processor..Q6600.. thanks
again

Old November 7th 08, 03:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scousa4lyf

hi , i have been thinking again of doing a raid config, but i cant
choose which one. obviously i will be doing regular backups on a
external hard drive, so i dont think i will want RAID 1.

i have been looking at RAID 0 for performance. i think this would be
the one for me as i would get full capacity of the disk's aswell as the
performance aspect, but i need a few more bits of help

first of all, i dont have any vista installation disk if things go
wrong and one of my disks fails, my version was factory installed on the
system. if i create a full system backup on an external disk, could i
use that to reinstall, or can that only be applied to an already
existing/installed copy of windows. or could i just completley copy the
whole C: drive to the external one

second thing, is it best to use 1 hardware RAID controller per hard
drive 2HDD=2controllers or would i be better using one for both drives
when implementing a RAID 0. i am thinking of using 2 500GB HDD's

also, i was wondering, when using a single HDD, you can enable
advanced performance aswell as write caching, can this be done for both
drives on the raid config e.g. enabled one at a time. or can advanced
performance not be used when using a RAID config

Old November 8th 08, 01:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SCSIraidGURU

I would get an external backup device and use it.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)
Old November 12th 08, 08:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scousa4lyf

i am definatley getting an external hard drive (if thats what you mean)
but, what i need to know is, if i create a full system configuration and
file backup on an external drive, can this data be used as the operating
system or can i only apply this to an already installed vista home prem.

or should i just copy and paste the whole C: drive onto the new drive?