DVD/CD-R rom not working

Old October 12th 08, 02:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
urbaneve

Default DVD/CD-R rom not working

okay here's the thing --

i have a compaq presario f500 (f572 to be exact) running on vista with
the latest updates, amd anthalon x2, 2 GB memory. simple little machine
i know, but it gets the job done for work. the problem is that i need
it to burn cd's and dvd's.

it used to work just fine and now it doesnt.

when i bring up my computer the drive is showing.
when i click on properties, it shows that this device is working
properly.
i have uninstalled and reinstalled -- no good
i have updated the drivers -- no good
even went and checked in the BIOS thinking it might be something in
there -- no good
when i insert a disc i hear make the normal sound the drive should make

the computer has never been dropped, or gotten wet

it doesnt matter if i have a dvd or a cd in there -- nothing comes up
-- even games. the autorun never comes up anymore. it used to be that
when i inserted a disc i would get a popup asking me what i wanted to do
-- NOPE not anymore

even when i use a program like nero or power iso -- no good

when i insert the disc it tells me -- please insert disc into drive e:

this is driving me absolutely insane and i really need it resolved --
can someone help me

the other questions i have is ---
could it be the optical lens not working?
and can i replace this drive if necessary

thanks ahead for your help
cheers

--
urbaneve
Old October 12th 08, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

Take a look at this link from my website:

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/autorun_autoplay_don't_work_when_cddvd_is_inserted .htm

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

Old October 12th 08, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob Harris

Try booting the PC with a CD (or DVD). For example, a real XP CD is
bootable, or download and burn (on a different computer) a free "live" LINUX
CD, or a rescue CD. NOte that a Symantec or McAfee installation CD may also
be bootable. Check the documentation, if you have one of those. Links to
live CDs and to one rescue CD:

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

If you can boot from a CD, then the basic hardware is OK, and the problem is
at the XP level (e.g., registry, drivers, etc).

If you can not boot from a CD, when the PC is set to do so in the BIOS, then
suspect the CD drive itself or associated power or signal wires. CD drives
do fail, and in my experience, more often that hard drives.

Old October 12th 08, 05:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

What happens when you open Windows Explorer? Can you see the CD/DVD drive
and can you view the contents of the CD/DVD

Old October 14th 08, 09:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter Corser

Hi

I also have this (or a similar) problem in Vista Ultimate (32 bit).

Drive is physically ok - was working perfectly ok. Now always asks to
"Prepare this blank disc".

Drive shows up with no problem in Device Manager and is seen by drive title
only in Explorer/Computer View.

I have cleaned the registry of upper and lower filters, ensured that autorun
was set (it had got turned off) and ensured that all audio drivers are
enabled, but this doesn't effect a solution.

I know when this happened - I tried to instal X-oom Movie Clone 3 (bundled
software with Serif programs in the UK) which is not Vista compatible. I
did not get a warning on this machine (it installed perfectly ok as far as
could be seen), but immediately caused the problem. Sytem Restore refuses
to restore saying there is an error and no changes have been made - it
doesn't matter which restore point I try all report the same error. MC3
refused to uninstall and has now been cleaned manually from the system &
registry (checked with Registry Repair Wizard and no MC3 or Xoom entries now
found).

I have had this problem before on this machine and (with hindsight) it came
from the same source, but I thought it was Apple iTunes which downoaded when
I wanted the MPEG4 codec for Adobe Premiere Elements 7). I have another
vista machine (which I am using for this post) and this obviously refused to
load MC3 (there is some evidence of MC3 - a help file, I think, but nothing
which works or causes trouble)

I suspect a corrupted dll and can get this from cd/dvd on working machine
and network across, if need be.

I have tried adding a known working usb optical drive and this also does not
work in exactly the same way.

Help please - I don't ant to completely reinstall Vista AGAIN (this was the
only solution I could find last time and it has taken me nearly a week to
get the machine almost to where I want it!

Peter

"urbaneve" wrote in message

[...]

Peter & Elizabeth Corser
Leighton Buzzard, UK

Old November 23rd 08, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
flyer[_2_]

Explorer is not under Policies in either
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\ or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\. Also,
Policies is a separate folder in both HKeys.
The entry NoDriveTypeAutoRun does not exist in the registry. Your help would
be appreciated.