Best processor I can upgrade to??

Old October 13th 08, 06:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tree Hugger

Default Best processor I can upgrade to??

I have a Compaq C500 laptop, and I'm wanting to upgrade the processor to
a better one. I currently have the Intel Celeron M 430 @ 1.73 Ghz that
my computer came with. It is a single core processor, and you can find
more info on it he
'http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL9KV'
(http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL9KV)

I'm wondering if there would be any problems going to a Pentium, or a
dual core processor, any reason why the motherboard wouldn't work with
one, or anything like that. Basically I want to know what would be the
best processor that I can swap in for this one with no hassles at all.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in
advance [image: http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif]

Woody

--
Tree Hugger
Old October 13th 08, 08:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 01:53:53 -0500, Tree Hugger
wrote:

I have a Compaq C500 laptop, and I'm wanting to upgrade the processor to
a better one.

Forget it. The processor is no doubt soldered in, making such a
project one that could be done only by an experienced tech - IF it
could be done at all, which I doubt.

Old October 14th 08, 01:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tree Hugger

Called up Compaq Tech Support today. I knew I was doomed when he said
"Whoa, you replaced your motherboard?? I've never heard of anyone doing
that on a laptop!"
Yes, I replaced it with the same exact one, my old one was broken, so I
replaced it with the same one.
"Wow!"
[image:
http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Ski...ns/Unsure.gif]

I must be doing some weird kind of computer voodoo engineering when I
can surprise Compaq

Anyways... what he said was basically, get the same socket type and I'd
be fine, but since my computer is so "old" that it won't support dual
core processors. It's too bad in the Service Manual I have it has 4 Core
Duo processors listed for my computer [image:
http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Ski...ns/Unsure.gif]
But I need to know if my particular motherboard can accept them.

So here's my plan unless someone can help me out; get the biggest
baddest processor I can find for the same socket off eBay and plug it
in. If it doesn't work I'll just resell it on eBay or try to get a
refund [image:
http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Ski...s/BigGrin.gif]

--
Tree Hugger

Old October 14th 08, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

TreeH,
Even if the CPU in your laptop is on a daughter board for ease of support of
custom configurations like some laptops are upgrading it would just create
more heat and the laptop would constantly shutdown from the extra heat.

Old October 14th 08, 06:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tree Hugger

Peter Foldes;860887 Wrote:
If presently you have a Celeron in a laptop then forget it. It is
soldered in ...Check Intel for your motherboard CPU and you will see...

Well, like I said, I just replaced the motherboard, and the CPU is most
definitely not soldered on. I know because I swapped my old CPU to the
new mobo.

Curious;860907 Wrote:
Even if the CPU in your laptop is on a daughter board for ease of
support of
custom configurations like some laptops are upgrading it would just
create
more heat and the laptop would constantly shutdown from the extra heat

I'm not too worried about heat at this point. My laptop runs rather
cool, and if need be, I can address the issue of how to keep my CPU cool
if and when I come to that bridge

--
Tree Hugger

Old October 15th 08, 03:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tree Hugger

Yep. It's the Celeron M 430 @ 1.73Ghz

--
Tree Hugger