What is "0xA_CODE_AV_BAD_IP_bcmwl6+404d6, type 0"?

Old October 13th 08, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve in Seattle

Default What is "0xA_CODE_AV_BAD_IP_bcmwl6+404d6, type 0"?

I had a few bluescreens to track down and found the following fault bucket in
the Events Viewer:

0xA_CODE_AV_BAD_IP_bcmwl6+404d6, type 0

any ideas what this is?
Old October 13th 08, 10:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Steve in Seattle wrote:

I had a few bluescreens to track down and found the following fault bucket
in the Events Viewer:

0xA_CODE_AV_BAD_IP_bcmwl6+404d6, type 0

any ideas what this is?

The bcmwl6 has to do with your network adapter drivers. In the absence of
any information from you about your computer, its recent history, or any
other problems you've been having, all I can suggest is that you
uninstall/reinstall your NIC drivers. See below for general drivers
information.

The First Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Normally if everything is working you want to leave things as they are. The
exception is that heavy-duty gamers will usually want to update their video
and sound drivers to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the
hardware to get the fastest frame rates. If you're not one of those people,
you don't need to update your drivers if there are no problems you are
trying to solve.

Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM computer
(HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific model
machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor or System Information for Windows.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

If you have installed drivers from Windows Update, you can roll them back:

Roll Back Troublesome Device Drivers in Windows Vista from the How-To Geek -
http://tinyurl.com/346lox

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old October 14th 08, 01:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Spirit

To add to Malke's advice :

When you 1st get a new system UPDATE all the drivers. When you buy
a new device download the NEW DRIVER's 1st. These are especially
true for Vista as driver designs seem to still be maturing.

Get drivers from the maker of the device as system maker's sites are usually
behind by a good margin.

Updating driver's today is not the hassle it used to be as you can go back
to a previous set if needed. (Uninstall in Safe Mode if needed.)