chkdsk hangs on stage 5 @ 10%

Old October 14th 08, 12:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
InTheRed

Default chkdsk hangs on stage 5 @ 10%

I run chkdsk a few times a week, usually overnight or when I'm going to
be out of the house for quite a while. I figure it really does no harm
and is a good form of system maintenance that can be done while the
computer is out of use.

The other day I woke up and the system had a blank screen (monitor
snoozed). When I moved the mouse, the monitor didn't wake up. I had to
reset the PC and skip the disk check to get straight to windows.
Everything seemed to work fine except the PC ran slower.

I restarted it and ran chkdsk. It ran fine as always, except when I
came back home for the day the disk check was hanging at 10% on stage 5.
I tried this again last night and the same results. I do notice that
chkdsk is reporting it has repaired errors on the drive, but why would
this hanging/locking up happen? The night before the problem occurred,
I walked past the computer at night where it was about 80% complete on
stage 5, and it was reporting something with every line it went across
(I think it was just an acknowledgement line, nothing serious).

I'm thinking my only remedy might be to format the drive from scratch,
or try to RMA it with newegg - I've only had the drive about 6 weeks.

For specs, the drive is Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200
RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

It can be found he

'Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB
Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148274)

--
InTheRed
Old October 14th 08, 01:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

I ran into a drive 2 years ago with the same problem. After saving what was
necessary I cleared the drive of all partitions. I then created new
partitions and reinstalled the operating system. Everything was fine from
that point on.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old October 14th 08, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
InTheRed

Rich,

Thanks for the quick reply. So basically formatting solved your
issues. I did not partition my drive and decided to go with one big
glutton. I'll start the backup process now.

--
InTheRed
Old October 14th 08, 06:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David B.[_3_]

Run Seagate's diagnostics on the drive to determine it's state, if it tests
bad RMA it, if it doesn't follow Richards advise.

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

Old October 14th 08, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
InTheRed

David,

I tried clean installing vista and I received errors that directories
that were created were inaccessible, etc etc etc. I already RMA'd the
drive. I'm rather surprised and disappointed as I thought Seagate was
one of the best names in the biz.

David B.;860939 Wrote:
Run Seagate's diagnostics on the drive to determine it's state, if it
tests
bad RMA it, if it doesn't follow Richards advise.

--

----
Crosspost, do not multipost 'Multiposting vs Crossposting'
(http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm)
How to ask a question 'How to ask a question'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
Help Us Help You 'Help US help YOU - Making good newsgroup posts:'
(http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm)

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16822148274))

--
InTheRed

--
InTheRed
Old October 14th 08, 06:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SCSIraidGURU

1 TB is a huge drive. Try chkdsk /r from a dos prompt.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)
Old October 14th 08, 07:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David B.[_3_]

I use nothing but Seagates, that doesn't mean they don't have failures, no
one puts out a 100% perfect product. I bought a Seagate 500 Giger on sale at
best buy, was dead out of the box, won't stop me from buying another.

--

----

Old October 15th 08, 02:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

Every working disk has at least one partition on it. You can use Disk
Manager in Vista to delete the partition, and then create a new one the size
of the whole disk, and give it a name and a label. It's a few mouse clicks.

Good luck.