VNC Runs really slow on my Vista64 box?

Old October 15th 08, 10:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jyujinkai

Default VNC Runs really slow on my Vista64 box?

Hi there...

I am having trouble getting VNC to run in vista64. I have it installed
on a few XP systems and a few vista 64 systems.

Everything "works". As I can connect and use it as VNC is ment to be..
but I am having trouble with VNC when installed on the Vista64 boxes.

Basicaly the connection runs "slow". On the XP boxes the screen lag
over the LAN is almost not even noticiable. While on my Vista64 box the
delay in screen draw is so slow it is really hampering my use of these
other remote systesm in the LAN network.

I found this post though google 'Vista Remote Desktop Connection Client
runs slow @ mydigitallife.info'
(http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...4-edition-rdp/)
Witch basicaly says that I have to turn off "Receive Window Auto-Tuning
Level" and "Receive-Side Scaling State" to fix this... I have tried this
with the command "netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
autotuninglevel=disabled" but it dose not seam to help.

Dose anyone have any fix for this.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jyujinkai
Old October 15th 08, 10:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
dmex[_91_]

Jyujinkai;861985 Wrote:

I found this post though google 'Vista Remote Desktop Connection Client
runs slow @ mydigitallife.info'
(http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...4-edition-rdp/)
Witch basicaly says that I have to turn off "Receive Window Auto-Tuning
Level" and "Receive-Side Scaling State" to fix this... I have tried this
with the command "netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
autotuninglevel=disabled" but it dose not seam to help.

Hi Jyujinkai,

I just want to point out VNC *is not* Vista Remote Desktop so doing
that will not help you at all for VNC and probably make things worse so
undo the AutoTuning and Receive Window settings (Receive-Side Scaling)

Try turning off Differential Compression since XP does not use it...

Click Start and type optionalfeatures.exe into the searchbox and press
enter, then just untick "Remote Differential Compression" then click OK

If your using VNC in a LAN environment this will help but if your using
it over the internet this will not help...Also make sure you have your
manufacturer video card drivers installed on each computer otherwise VNC
will lag regardless

Steven

--
dmex

'[image:
/presenceimage?mkt=en-AU]'
(http://settings.messenger.live.com/C....com&mkt=en-AU)
Old October 15th 08, 10:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jyujinkai

dmex;861989 Wrote:
I just want to point out VNC *is not* Vista Remote Desktop so doing that
will not help you at all for VNC and probably make things worse so undo
the AutoTuning and Receive Window settings (Receive-Side Scaling)

ok... i got that command from the above website.. I assume the command
to ren-enable it is "netsh interface tcp set global rss=enable
autotuninglevel=enable" But i get a error "The parameter is incorrect"

dmex;861989 Wrote:
Try turning off Differential Compression since XP does not use it...

This seamed not to do anything.

dmex;861989 Wrote:
If your using VNC in a LAN environment this will help but if your using
it over the internet this will not help...Also make sure you have your
manufacturer video card drivers installed on each computer otherwise VNC
will lag regardless

I am only interested in using vnc over a LAN, but like i said disabling
that thing did not help. Also I have the latest drivers for my card
installed on the vista64 system.

dmex;861989 Wrote:
Vista`s builtin Remote Desktop should work better than VNC in this case

Well basicaly I just use various software that utilized CPU resources
over a network (I do 3D rendering for a living on my home network) So
the second vista64 system is basicaly a render box... so I only really
use it as a remote desktop pumped out to my main workstation as a vnc
window when i wish to load up diffrent software for my workstation to
connect to....

In otherwords I do not need internet remote desktops....

This is all I want so if this other remote desktop thing works fine
then I will just use that.... but i do not know how.

Thanks for your reply

--
Jyujinkai
Old October 16th 08, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jyujinkai

Dose anyone else have any thoughts on this?

--
Jyujinkai
Old October 20th 08, 12:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jyujinkai

Old October 21st 08, 03:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
DevilsPGD

In message Jyujinkai
was claimed to have wrote:

Dose anyone else have any thoughts on this?

In short, VNC is just slow. Use Remote Desktop instead.
Old October 21st 08, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Stefano Ferrante

Jyujinkai ha scritto:
Dose anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Yes...on sunday I tried to install ultravnc on my notebook (vista home
basic...no rdp) and got disconnected very often. I was testing it in lan
environment!!
So I downloaded Teamviewer....with a completely different result.

Stefano