Reinstalled Vista

Old October 17th 08, 11:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MSPRISSYSMOM

Default Reinstalled Vista

-My friend is having issues, I am relaying there problem, here goes:-

-just reinstalled Vista. It loaded into C: which is a pity as there was
a partition for it to load into named D: My C: only has 10 GB space and
is now full. D: has 325 GB and nothing goes into it!. Can I change the
drive letters to make this problem go away?

Configuration: Vista Home Premium.

History: Recently reinstalled Vista after big crash. Had no reboot
disks.-

--
MSPRISSYSMOM
Old October 17th 08, 11:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Brink

MSPRISSYSMOM;863361 Wrote:
-My friend is having issues, I am relaying there problem, here goes:-

-just reinstalled Vista. It loaded into C: which is a pity as there was
a partition for it to load into named D: My C: only has 10 GB space and
is now full. D: has 325 GB and nothing goes into it!. Can I change the
drive letters to make this problem go away?-

-Configuration: Vista Home Premium.-

-History: Recently reinstalled Vista after big crash. Had no reboot
disks.-

Hello MSPRISSYSMOM,

A workaround is to delete the D: partiton and extend C: into D: to make
one large drive again.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...te-extend.html

Next, you can shrink C: again by how much space you want for the D:
drive instead of the 325 GB before and have C: the size you want to.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...partition.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old October 17th 08, 12:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

Your D partition was almost certainly a recovery partition that would let
you restore the system to factory condition from a restore disk you created
with installed software. The first thing any Vista owner should do.
Eliminating or overwriting it will end that possibility. That means unless
you were given a full set of restore disks, not just one, and not Vista
install disks, you will end up with a system that has Vista loaded, and most
devices not working because you have not provided the drivers. You will have
go to the machine website and download and install these drivers. One that
is not likely to be working is your nic card or function, so you won't be
connected to the internet.

Since you blew it away, and have disks to install Vista, it is probably best
to delete both partitions and make one large partition on the disk on which
you install Vista. A free download called GParted is available as a disk
image, and will burn to a CD that boots temporarily to Linux, and loads a
partition manager that is easy to work with. When you are done, then
reinstall Vista.

Good luck.

Old October 17th 08, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

"Wandering" wrote in message
[...]

Unlikely that a recovery partition would be so large..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old October 17th 08, 12:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mansrm81

If you read the post the person said nothing is in the drive d.

--
mansrm81

If you think I helped you fix your problem give me some rep . Click on
the scales. [image:
http://www.vistax64.com/members/mans...-untitled.jpg]
Old October 17th 08, 01:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SIW2

Hi MSPRISSYSMOM ,

If you could send us a screenshot of the Disk Management window on you
friends machine, it would be helpful.

To get to it, click the Start Orb, right click Computer, click Manage,
click continue at the UAC prompt, and in the new window that opens,
click Disk Management - it takes a couple of seconds to appear.

To post a jpeg screenshot follow the tutorial below - step7 onward- to
get to the screen in step7, click the Go Advanced button at the bottom
of this page

Thanks

SIW2

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/14...ool-vista.html