New PC doesn't boot after Vista Install

Old October 17th 08, 11:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Steve_BZ

Default New PC doesn't boot after Vista Install

Hi Guys, after buying a new Megaware/ASUS PC with Vista Home Premium in
Portuguese, I reinstalled, first my old XP in English (no boot) and then
Vista Ulimate in English also no boot.

The installation works fine and installs to my SATA c-drive, but then
when I reboot, nothing. I read somewhere that SATA drivers are not
provided with Vista (and therefore I guess not with XP either), and you
have to install these when installing the operating system. My
recover/driver disks don't seem to have any useful drivers on them,
where can I get them?

All ideas welcomed.

--
Steve_BZ
Steve_BZ's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/steve_bz.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old October 17th 08, 01:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
PvdG42

"Steve_BZ" wrote in message

Hi Guys, after buying a new Megaware/ASUS PC with Vista Home Premium in
Portuguese, I reinstalled, first my old XP in English (no boot) and then
Vista Ulimate in English also no boot.

The installation works fine and installs to my SATA c-drive, but then
when I reboot, nothing. I read somewhere that SATA drivers are not
provided with Vista (and therefore I guess not with XP either), and you
have to install these when installing the operating system. My
recover/driver disks don't seem to have any useful drivers on them,
where can I get them?

All ideas welcomed.

--
Steve_BZ
Steve_BZ's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/steve_bz.htm
View this thread:
http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1056594.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Vista should have no problem recognizing and installing to your SATA hard
drive. OTOH, XP will probably need drivers from a floppy during the install
(You have to hit F6 when prompted, IIRC). Before trying XP, you should have
gone to the Asus support site to get all needed XP drivers for your PC, and
if none were available, you should not have tried to install XP. At this
point, you need to ask Asus tech support for assistance, but you may have
voided your warranty by installing a different OS.
Did the PC come with a recovery disk or a recovery partition on the hard
drive? If so, follow Asus procedures to return your PC to as-delivered state
and (hopefully) get it running again.
If that does not work, Asus forums may yield the help you need:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/default.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

http://support.asus.com/techserv/tec...Language=en-us

Old October 17th 08, 02:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Steve_BZ[_2_]

Hi PvdG42

I installed XP and Vista, both with no problems. In each case I
reformated the HD. However, when it was time to reboot, the PC just
beeped and then sat there with a blank screen.

I will follow your suggested links and see if there is anything on
those support forums.

Any other ideas much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Old October 17th 08, 07:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Tom ferguson

You do not provide enough details of your setup or what you did when you
installed XP and then Vista. For example, did you create two partitions
when you set up your HD or does the computer have more than one hard drive?
Since you do not seem to have a CD or DVD of drivers for the computer, does
ASUS have the required drivers available? Did you download them if so.?

If you still want/need suggestions/help. please provide more detail.

--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

Old October 17th 08, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Richard Urban

Not all M/B's have the ability to natively install to a SATA drive. I know
my Asus A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe doesn't. How many others out there are similarly
afflicted?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old October 18th 08, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
PvdG42

"Richard Urban" wrote in message
Not all M/B's have the ability to natively install to a SATA drive. I know
my Asus A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe doesn't. How many others out there are similarly
afflicted?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

Richard, I believe that's a motherboard chipset issue that would probably
not pop up in newer motherboards. IIRC, your A7N8X has an NForce 2 chipset
(I owned one at one time).

Old October 19th 08, 03:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
John Barnes[_2_]

The drivers for the SATA drive will be available from the manufacturer of
the motherboard. Usually they are in the drivers set under the title 'Make
Disk' or similar. XP requires they be on a floppy. Vista they can be on
most any source you can browse to. You would need to install them if setup
doesn't detect your hard disk (most SATA controllers) and you would click on
'load driver' at that point.
Since you say the install works fine, setup must be seeing your HD, so what
do you mean by reboot. Are you talking about the automatic reboot? Do you
have the drive set in your boot priorities?

Old October 19th 08, 08:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Richard Urban

Hi John,

With my older M/B I have to again supply the SATA drivers upon the 1st
reboot. After that everything is fine. I guess the first time I install the
drivers they are kept in RAM and not actually written to the drive. Of
course, the RAM is cleared when the system reboots. The 2nd install does the
trick and the drivers are permanent.

Old October 24th 08, 11:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Steve_BZ[_3_]

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help.

It just fell into the too-hard category, I took it back to the shop.
They couldn't fix it. They swapped it out for another identical one.
They tested it, and it had the same problem so they gave me my money
back. Four PCs in two weeks!

- Broken power supply
- Broken fan,
- two with this reinstall problem

In the end I bought a custom build from my local small PC shop.

Works like a dream!

Thanks for all your help.