Sound stopped working after Vista update

Old October 18th 08, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
G Moore

Default Sound stopped working after Vista update

After an update this week my computer would crash to the blue screen of death
every time I turned it on for about two days. On the third day after taking
12 minutes to load on startup it went into installing 11 new updates. When
this was completed, the sound no longer worked.

I have tried various solutions and finally used the Microsoft help solution
of uninstalling the driver in Device Manager. When I tried to reinstall the
driver, Vista says there is an I/O error and driver installation failed. I
have repeated this result several times now.

The Microsoft help just refers you to the sound driver manufacturer, but
clearly since it worked until the Vista update it is a Microsoft error, not a
sound driver manufacturer error.

Anyone know how I can get this fixed? I've got an HP Pavilion with Realtek
HD Audio. Like I said, since the Vista update no drivers from the HP or
Realtek website will work with Vista now.
Old October 18th 08, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
unclebuckle

Something similar happened to me. After I applied sp1, it changed my
default sound device from my sound card to my usb sound device (skype
phone). I used control panel \ sound \ playback tab to select the default
playback sound device.

Good luck

Old October 18th 08, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
G Moore[_2_]

Thanks, but I only had one sound device (Realtek HD Audio) installed
originally and now I have zero sound devices and can't reinstall the Realtek
drivers.

Old October 19th 08, 02:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chuck Chopp

G Moore wrote:
Thanks, but I only had one sound device (Realtek HD Audio) installed
originally and now I have zero sound devices and can't reinstall the Realtek
drivers.

My Dell Inspiron 1721 encountered a similar problem when updating to SP1
on Vista x64. Apparently, SP1 breaks Hi-Def audio drivers in a number
of cases, especially on 64-bit builds of Vista. The solution on Dell's
tech support site was to obtain updated drivers that were compatible
with SP1. Incidentally, this was listed as the #1 topic in Dell's
"Vista SP1 post-update problems" FAQ shortly after SP1 was released.

Has your system vendor provided any tech support FAQ articles similar to
this? Have they made updated drivers available?

Old October 19th 08, 04:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
G Moore[_2_]

Right now Vista shows 'No Audio Output Device'. There is an updated RealTek
driver but it won't install, it returns error 800703E3.

So basically I have no sound now and no idea how to fix it.