External Hard Drive Not Recognized

Old October 18th 08, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ilyabyk83[_2_]

Default External Hard Drive Not Recognized

Hello folks. I have a problem. I use an external hard drive, to keep a
lot of stuff on it. I regularly back up my mail on to it, my IE
bookmarks, a lot of downloaded programs. A lot of video, music,
pictures, and so on... Something has happened over one night, and the
drive is not seen (recognized) by my computer anymore. If I "right
click" on "Computer" icon, and choose "Manage", I can only see ""Local
Disk" 217.78 GB NTFS" and ""CD-ROM 0 No Media" and an "Unallocated"
space of 15.05 GB. I created a second drive, and I didn't need it
anymore. And to join it with 217, I need to reinstall the OS, which is
really no point. What do I do, for this drive to reappear on my computer
again? This computer is Windows Vista, but I have an old laptop, that is
Windows XP, and it is the same thing there. How can I at least recover
all of the data from it (and preserve the file and folder names)? And/Or
maybe get it "up and running" again?? Thank you very much for your
help!!

--
ilyabyk83

::*Thank You for Your Help*::
::* Best Regards*::
Old October 18th 08, 09:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DDW[_3_]

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:16:37 -0500, ilyabyk83
wrote:

Hello folks. I have a problem. I use an external hard drive, to keep a
lot of stuff on it. I regularly back up my mail on to it, my IE
bookmarks, a lot of downloaded programs. A lot of video, music,
pictures, and so on... Something has happened over one night, and the
drive is not seen (recognized) by my computer anymore. If I "right
click" on "Computer" icon, and choose "Manage", I can only see ""Local
Disk" 217.78 GB NTFS" and ""CD-ROM 0 No Media" and an "Unallocated"
space of 15.05 GB.

You are saying that the external drive is not showing in Disk
Management any more, right?

Big trouble.

[snip]

This computer is Windows Vista, but I have an old laptop, that is
Windows XP, and it is the same thing there.

BIG TROUBLE.

Looks like the hard drive died. If it has an external power supply,
maybe THAT died and your problem just became minimal.

How can I at least recover
all of the data from it (and preserve the file and folder names)? And/Or
maybe get it "up and running" again?? Thank you very much for your
help!!

If it's not a bad power supply, then you have a dead drive and will
need the help of a professional service to get the data - a very
expensive undertaking.

DDW
No email please
Old October 18th 08, 10:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ilyabyk83[_2_]

The drive uses only the USB it's connected with.

--
ilyabyk83

::*Thank You for Your Help*::
::* Best Regards*::
Old October 18th 08, 10:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ilyabyk83[_2_]

I just tried with XP. I see it perfectly there!!

--
ilyabyk83

::*Thank You for Your Help*::
::* Best Regards*::
Old October 18th 08, 10:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DDW[_3_]

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 17:04:10 -0500, ilyabyk83
wrote:

The drive uses only the USB it's connected with.

You are probably up the proverbial sh*t creek without a paddle.

There are three lessons he

1. Backup
2. Badkup
3. Backup

DDW
No email please
Old October 18th 08, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DDW[_3_]

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 17:31:28 -0500, ilyabyk83
wrote:

I just tried with XP. I see it perfectly there!!

Your first post appeared to say that you'd already tried that.

By the time you've read this, you probably have already tried it again
on the Vista machine.

If not, try several USB ports.

If that doesn't work, try running System Restore to get back to a time
before this started.

DDW
No email please
Old October 19th 08, 12:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ilyabyk83[_2_]

A repeat!! Attached to XP based computer, and everything is fine. This
is Vista based. My drive: SimpleTech Portable Hard Drive, High-Speed USB
2.0 Drive ICE 250 GB.
I need for the Vista to see it. I checked out the website, and there
are only drivers for Windows 98 computers. There is no need for the
drivers for Vista.
Here is the site for this particular model. I have a 250 G just in
case.
http://www.simpletech.com/products/s...signature-mini

--
ilyabyk83

::*Thank You for Your Help*::
::* Best Regards*::
Old October 19th 08, 05:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom ferguson

If you navigate to Control Panel Administrative Tools Computer Management
Storage Disk Management, do you see anything listed there for it?
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

Old October 19th 08, 03:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bob[_12_]

Do you have other USB devices that work? I had that problem some months ago
and restoring to a restore point when the USB drive worked, restored its
function.