Complete Crash without Blue Screen

Old October 22nd 08, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Don Deacon

Default Complete Crash without Blue Screen

Yesterday I removed the Wireless NIC and unplugged the the Network cable and
fired things up as I normally would and got crashes like normal as well. I
couldn't remove the Ethernet NIC as it is on the MB so that is why I
unplugged the cable.

So I have had it running without crash now though for 24 hours without Media
Center running. I haven't gone in and checked the October rollup yet but
will later today and then try running with MC open. I'm wondering if it
could be a combination of things like this...the video card is onboard and
uses the system RAM for video. With Media Center running, CPU resource goes
up, video usage goes up, using RAM as well. I wonder if a video card (though
it may draw more power) with it's own memory may improve things. Or just
adding more memory. This is my dilemma I could add PSU, Memory and/or video
card but would prefer to do the minimum if possible.

"Curious" wrote in message
Just to be sure that you have the latest version installed since it is
always not clear what all of the fixes in a rollup release are.
I still would like to remove or disable your nic card and disconnect your
Ethernet cable you don't want both of them active and I would like to
confirm that your get a failure in normal mode with no network background
services potentially active. Also removing the NIC card may lower the draw
on your power supply.
"Don Deacon" wrote in message
news
Actually I think it just installed today. Any reason why you bring it up?

"Curious" wrote in message
Have you installed the following update?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955519
"Don Deacon" wrote in message
Yep. I launched it after boot and left it a while without a crash.
Started
it up and it crashed about an hour later. This isn't really definitive
though as once the PC booted successfully it could run for quite a
while
without crashing, even with MCE running. I'm going to leave it for an
extended period of time without MCE running to see if it will crash.

"Curious" wrote in message
Can you run MCE if you start it manually after booting up in Normal
Mode?
"Don Deacon" wrote in message
Well this has been crashing all afternoon (every time I restart and
is has done it about 7-8 times) and I noticed it crashes at the same
point when Windows launches and shortly after the Media Center Splash
Screen comes up. I booted into safe mode (MCE doesn't auto launch in
safe mode so it wasn't running those times I said the system was
stable in safe mode). I stopped MCE from auto startup in normal mode
and the system has been starting up fine since then. I'm going to
mess around with having the PC running without MCE running and with
to see if it has anything to do with that.

"Curious" wrote in message
I suggest testing without any network connection to reduce the
activity on the system as it appears that there may be some normal
background service that does not run in safe mode may be having
trouble checking something on the internet.
Does task manager give you any indication of other process or files
that may be running in normal mode that are not running in safe
Mode?
"Don Deacon" wrote in message
Thanks,
Lots of good questions, here is my config:
Home-built PC with the following:
Kingwin Supernova Case
Kingwin AP-450 Power Supply
MSI K8NGM2 Motherboard, using the onboard video
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU
1 GB RAM
Hauppauge MCE500 PVR Card
250 GB SATA Drive
Linksys Wireless PCI NIC
Vista Home Premium SP1

I am using is strictly as a Media Server/PVR. I was planning on
removing the
Wireless NIC as I not have Gigabit Ethernet going to it but haven't
gotten
around to it yet (but will now that I have it stripped open).

To address some of the other questions, it was a bit dusty inside
though I
have thoroughly cleaned it and it is still crashing. Also, the only
app not
running in Safe mode is media center itself, I was connected to the
network
and in Safe Mode with Networking. Nothing shows up in problem
reports &
solutions (no problems reported or solutions).

"knightriderT" wrote in
message ...

Please post ur whole config wat is ur SMPS/PSU rating ...???

--
knightriderT
knightriderT's Profile:

Old October 29th 08, 03:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Don Deacon

Well I've had a bit of an unprecedented run without a crash on the system. I
disabled the onboard video on the MB and put in a new ATI video card and
added some memory last Saturday. Had a crash shortly after that but then
updated the video drivers and it has been running steady since then. Not
sure if that helped or is irrelevant. Also I noticed yesterday that one of
the thermistors wasn't working and when I pulled it out, I saw that the
thermistor end had come off leaving a bare wire...pulled it out of the
system yesterday. Bottom line is so far the system is much more stable
without the need of changing the power supply.