"there is not enough memory to complete" with shared printer

Old December 24th 06, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Trapulo

Default "there is not enough memory to complete" with shared printer

I'm trying to install a printer on Vista Ultimate RTM. The printer (a
samsung SCX-4100) is shared by a windows 2003 server.
When I try to install, I get the error:
"windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not enough memory to
complete"

I've tried to manually install the driver, or install the printer as local
printer, and all is ok. But I need to connecto to the remote printer, and I
cannot. Sure the problem is in Vista, because from other PCs with XP all
works.

What can I do?

thanks

Old January 3rd 07, 04:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Bruce Sanderson

See if the "More Information" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280830 helps.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

Old January 6th 07, 09:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Bruce Sanderson

See http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm for a possible
workaround.

Since you have already installed the printer locally, a variation of this
workaround is:
1. click Start, Printers
2. click File, Run as Administrator, Server Properties (click Continue or
provide administrative credentials)
3. select the Ports tab
4. click Add Port
5. select Local Port; click New Port
6. in the "Port Name" box, key the UNC name of the Samsung SCX-4100 printer
as defined on the Windows 2003 server - e.g.
\\printservername\printersharename; click OK; click Close; click Close
(close the Print Server Properties window)
7. in the Printers window, right click on the Samsung printer you installed
locally and select Properties
8. select the Ports tab
9. click on the Port you just added (e.g.
\\printservername\printersharename) to add a check mark. The check mark
that was in LPT1 (or whatever port was previously selected) will be
automatically removed.
10. click OK

Old January 7th 07, 07:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Trapulo

Great!

This worked!

Thank you!!

Old February 21st 07, 10:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Mike Denman

The solution is to install the Vista drivers for your printer on the Vista
machine and then connect to the printer.

You may have to acutally install the printer on the vista machine and then
remove it and connect via the network.

Old October 15th 09, 06:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
schoujill

I keep getting a message "A device attached to the system is not
functioning"
What do I need to do now?

--
schoujill