Question about nVidia graphics card features

Old October 21st 08, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dick[_3_]

Default Question about nVidia graphics card features

I have a Gateway desktop system which uses a nVidia 6150SE nForce 430
chipset. I was reading specs about this chipset and it appears that the
chip supports a variety of features/functions that have little (if anything)
to do with graphics. For example:

* gigabit Ethernet

* raid 0, 0+1, 1, and 5 RAID

* 10 usb ports

* SATA support

* audio support

* etc, etc to name a few

Does this mean that I have access to those features? Or does it mean that
the manufacturer has the option to use some or all of those features?

It appears that this chipset has a BUNCH of features. I am curious as to
why these seemingly unrelated features are included on a grahics chip set.

I would appreciate someone educating me on this ...

Dick

Old October 21st 08, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mick Murphy

That chipset it the HEART of your motherboard, idiot. Stick with
playing Solitaire before you screw something up.
--
Mad Mike

""Dick" " wrote

Old October 21st 08, 05:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

The Nvidia Windows Computer Chipset chips such as the 430 support many
computer functions in addition to graphics and Gateway selected it instead
of separate a separatre general windows support chip and a separate graphics
chip.

Old October 21st 08, 05:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

Thats because its a *chipset* driver that includes many functions including
graphics.
It not a specific graphic driver
Doubtless your Gateway has sound,usb, ethernet etc, they all work because of
the chipset driver

Old October 21st 08, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

The nForce 430 is a system chipset, not a video chipset. The 6150SE is the
video chipset. All the "etc, etc" is provided by the nForce 430 chip, not
the 6150SE chip. The 6150SE chip provides the video output.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old October 21st 08, 11:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dick[_3_]

"Dick" wrote in message
I have a Gateway desktop system which uses a nVidia 6150SE nForce 430
chipset. I was reading specs about this chipset and it appears that the
chip supports a variety of features/functions that have little (if
anything) to do with graphics. For example:

* gigabit Ethernet

* raid 0, 0+1, 1, and 5 RAID

* 10 usb ports

* SATA support

* audio support

* etc, etc to name a few

Does this mean that I have access to those features? Or does it mean that
the manufacturer has the option to use some or all of those features?

It appears that this chipset has a BUNCH of features. I am curious as to
why these seemingly unrelated features are included on a grahics chip set.

I would appreciate someone educating me on this ...

Dick

To Curious, DL & Mr. Harper:

Thank you for the info. I now understand much better, thanks to your taking
the time to respond.

Again, thank you.

Dick