Moving to Vistax64 tonight... few question..

Old October 23rd 08, 07:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
vipeness

Default Moving to Vistax64 tonight... few question..

Hey Guys!

First time on these forums and just signed up.

I have a few questions;

I'm going to be moving from Vista 32bit to Vista64bit tonight..

I currently have Vista32bit installed and I know that I have to
completely format the drive to install Vista64bit.

Do still need to install winxp pro to start the install of vista64bit?

i have the vista ultimate upgrade limited edition package that came
with the 32 and 64 bit versions.

Or can i just put the 64x disk in, restart, then go from the initial
install to install it...

--
vipeness
Old October 23rd 08, 08:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
AJR

Boot from 64 DVD - not necessasry to pre-format - setup will do it all -
forget about XP, it has no bearing on installing Vista (Except if dual
booting is involved).

Old October 23rd 08, 08:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Deet

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:04:36 -0500, vipeness
wrote:

Or can i just put the 64x disk in, restart, then go from the initial
install to install it...

Boot to it and go for it.
Old October 23rd 08, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
vipeness

sweet deal; im all over it tonight...

but that will work perfectly with an upgrade disk ?

Thanks guys

--
vipeness
Old October 23rd 08, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Mick Murphy

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

The above link has info for you to do it.
--
Mad Mike

Old October 23rd 08, 10:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Richard G. Harper

1. There is no supported method of clean-installing any upgrade version of
Vista. A work-around currently works but may not work always and forever.

2. There is no way to upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit so unless you have a 64-bit
Windows XP to install you can't get there from here anyway.

3. Why 64-bit? Unless you need to support more than 4gb total memory or
have 64-bit software, stick with 32-bit. There is no advantage to running
64-bit Vista over 32-bit Vista.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old October 23rd 08, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
vipeness

i have a few games that support x64 mode, and I also want to add 8g ram
to my machine for editing (videos) graphics.

--
vipeness
Old October 23rd 08, 11:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Snidley W.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:21:33 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"
wrote:

1. There is no supported method of clean-installing any upgrade version of
Vista. A work-around currently works but may not work always and forever.

Irrelevant. Re-read the OP's post.

2. There is no way to upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit so unless you have a 64-bit
Windows XP to install you can't get there from here anyway.

Again, irrelevant. Re-read the OP's post.

3. Why 64-bit? Unless you need to support more than 4gb total memory or
have 64-bit software, stick with 32-bit. There is no advantage to running
64-bit Vista over 32-bit Vista.

That info might come in handy if the OP is ever on Jeopardy and needs
it.

Old October 23rd 08, 11:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

wrote:

1. There is no supported method of clean-installing any upgrade version
of
Vista. A work-around currently works but may not work always and forever.

Irrelevant. Re-read the OP's post.

2. There is no way to upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit so unless you have a
64-bit
Windows XP to install you can't get there from here anyway.

Again, irrelevant. Re-read the OP's post.

3. Why 64-bit? Unless you need to support more than 4gb total memory or
have 64-bit software, stick with 32-bit. There is no advantage to running
64-bit Vista over 32-bit Vista.

That info might come in handy if the OP is ever on Jeopardy and needs
it.

We are waiting with baited breath for your answers to the OP questions..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old October 23rd 08, 11:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Snidley W.

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

We are waiting with baited breath for your answers to the OP questions..

Gonna be a long wait, because it was answered by at least two posters
before the other "MVP" hopped in with all the irrelevant stuff.

I see no need to repeat what someone else already said.

--
SW