quad core only operating on 2 cores

Old October 24th 08, 04:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hippo

Default quad core only operating on 2 cores

About 8 months ago I put together a computer running Vista ultimate 64
on an EVGA 780i, 8gb ram, and Intel E6850 (3.0 dual). Everything went
smoothly, and it hasn't had any huge hiccups since.

About 2 months ago I picked up a Q9400 (quad 2.6). I shut down my
computer, installed it, and re-booted. The BIOS detected the 4 2.6 cores
in the POST. Windows did a little firmware fiddling on its own as I'd
expected, and continued to boot normally. When I opened the task manager
to take a look at the performance, I saw it only had 2 cores displayed.
Puzzled I checked the device manager, and under processors, it shows 2
'unknown device' entries.

Now, the 2 cores it foes find work fine and just marginally slower than
the 3.0's i had before, so I didn't immediately try and get an RMA or
anything (I'm not sure if its a hardware failure or something else), but
due to some insane scheduling conflicts, I didn't get around to fiddling
with it or getting an RMA replacement before the time limit expired.

Anybody have any ideas? I've contemplated a fresh OS install, but I'm
not too keen on it for now.

--
Hippo
Old October 24th 08, 05:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Brink

Hippo;869484 Wrote:
[...]

Hello Hippo,

I would try resetting your BIOS settings back to factory defauts to see
if it can properly detect your CPU afterwards.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*'
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old October 24th 08, 06:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message Hippo
was claimed to have wrote:

[...]

I bumped into similar once upon a time when going from a slower dual
core to a newer faster dual core, suddenly only one core was functional.

In this case, the motherboard's BIOS needed an update.

(Do note the usual warnings about BIOS updates, specifically, it may
turn your motherboard into an expensive and rather poorly designed
doorstop)

Old October 24th 08, 05:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SCSIraidGURU

I would reset the BIOS first to default. If that did not work, flash it
to the latest rev. You might want to repair install your OS.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)