laptop specs

Old October 24th 08, 11:50 PM
molly1949 molly1949 is offline
Junior Member

Talking laptop specs

with my xp desktop i was able to look at specs, it told me what the memory etc was, but my vista laptop doesn't seem to have [or I have not been able to locate] the specs for this machine. i want to upgrade the memory and need to know what I have in it now.
help appreciated
Old October 25th 08, 01:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

Default laptop specs

--
molly1949

Go to

http://www.crucial.com

You can connect to the website and it will tell you what RAM is installed
and all upgrade options open to you..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old October 25th 08, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Smith

"molly1949" wrote in message

with my xp desktop i was able to look at specs, it told me what the
memory etc was, but my vista laptop doesn't seem to have [or I have not
been able to locate] the specs for this machine. i want to upgrade the
memory and need to know what I have in it now.
help appreciated

Hello.

Start - Computer - System Properties (at the top along the bar under the
address bar).

That'll show the computers RAM.

If you want the full details if you click on 'Windows Experience Index' on
the System Properties page it'll open up the more detailed view.
Alternatively you can just Start Search for Performance Information and
Tools.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Old October 25th 08, 08:20 AM
molly1949 molly1949 is offline
Junior Member

I went to crucial and downloaded the system check thingy. it did a scan and gave me some relatively conflicting data..as follows:

memory upgrades
According to our scan, your system already has the maximum amount of memory installed.
****now, I am really confused as I read the rest below:

drop down arrow
Your HP - Compaq Presario F557US Specifications

Currently installed memory:

EMPTY
EMPTY

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-4200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
* Currently Installed Memory: 0MB
* Available Memory Slots: 2
* Number of Banks: 2
* Dual Channel Support: No
* CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
* CPU Family: Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3500+ Model 12, Stepping 2
* CPU Speed: 1600 MHz
*
how can I have both the maximum memory installed when it clearly states I have 0MB installed...and how can my laptop run without memory..lord help me. so, what now??
Old October 25th 08, 08:28 AM
molly1949 molly1949 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly1949 View Post
[...]

I just did a system check using other means and it says I have 512 installed..and lists itself within the pc as an f500 whereas the crucial scan lists the pc as Compaq Presario F557US, so there is a discrepancy that bothers..I think I will take it to compudoc and have them take a peek and install what can be installed, just to get me to at least a full Gig.
Old October 25th 08, 08:29 AM
molly1949 molly1949 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly1949 View Post
I just did a system check using other means and it says I have 512 installed..and lists itself within the pc as an f500 whereas the crucial scan lists the pc as Compaq Presario F557US, so there is a discrepancy that bothers..I think I will take it to compudoc and have them take a peek and install what can be installed, just to get me to at least a full Gig.
oh, my, thanks for the replies, and thanks to the one that gave me the data on how to check within the computer area of the pc, thats what I was looking for. thanks again!!
Old October 25th 08, 01:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

molly1949 wrote:

[...]

Go to Control PanelSystem. This will show you how much memory Windows
thinks you have. I suspect you already have 2GB and the "EMPTY" and the "0"
was a glitch. According to the manual for your system, you only have two
memory slots which is normal for a notebook. I checked your model's specs
on Crucial and indeed 2GB is the maximum that notebook can support.

Here are two other free system inventory programs:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.gtopala.com/ - System Information for Windows

Or even easier, simply open up the laptop and look! You can get the how-to
in .pdf form he

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/m...uct= 3370444&

You want "memory modules - Windows Vista" which will show you exactly how to
work with the memory sticks. Very easy to do.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!