Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?

Old October 28th 08, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
The Max[_2_]

Default Window Defender. What is 0x800106ba? Is it important?

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:58:13 -0400, "FromTheRafters"
wrote:

Just picking some nits - it is often misunderstood what the
difference is between restore and recovery. Recovery is
meant to recover from some unfortunate thing. It implies
the end state is as it was just before the incident. Restore
is the one that gets you the sometimes less desireable "as
new" condition.

Sorry, but that's the reverse of normal usage in both XP and Vista.

Recovery is reserved for talking about using a "recovery disc" to
return a computer to out-of-the-box - or "as new" - condition.

Restore is reserved for talking about using the System Restore utility
to return the system to a state previous to an unfortunate event,
without going all the way back to "as new" condition.

--
Max
Old October 28th 08, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters[_2_]

wrote:

Just picking some nits - it is often misunderstood what the
difference is between restore and recovery. Recovery is
meant to recover from some unfortunate thing. It implies
the end state is as it was just before the incident. Restore
is the one that gets you the sometimes less desireable "as
new" condition.

Sorry, but that's the reverse of normal usage in both XP and Vista.

Recovery is reserved for talking about using a "recovery disc" to
return a computer to out-of-the-box - or "as new" - condition.

Restore is reserved for talking about using the System Restore utility
to return the system to a state previous to an unfortunate event,
without going all the way back to "as new" condition.

Yeah, I'm sorry too.

Microsoft didn't actually get it wrong when they named the
restore facility, it does get you back to a previous "as new"
state for the things under its purview. If they called it system
recovery people should expect it to do a lot more than it does.

http://www.restoredisks.com/

Restore is OS independent. Recovery would require some backup
plan or at the very least some knowledge of the OS and user data
that needs the recovering.

Old October 29th 08, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
tomoedinburgh

dear mow green

I checked my updates and i dont think I have KB939... the one you
mentioned. What sort of update is this?

--
tomoedinburgh
Old October 29th 08, 10:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
tomoedinburgh

dear S1W2

About SP1. It says you need 4.5G free space to install.
Does this mean SP1 occupy that amount of HD once installed?
Or you need that to install but the pack does not take up that much?
Do you know how much space SP1 take up?

I read reviews and they say the improvememts are marginal.
They are like, "well, it does not hurt" sort of reception.
Could you tell me how one can beneft from downloading SP1,
apart from having a piece of mind, so to speak?

--
tomoedinburgh
Old October 30th 08, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
SIW2

Hi,

This is what Mow was referring to

'An update to prevent a Background Intelligent Transfer Service
(BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939159)

Sp1 doesn't take up 4.5 gb and here is some idea of what it's for

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_sp1.asp

Hope that helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Old October 30th 08, 04:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
tomoedinburgh

Hi SIW2

Thanks for the advice. I am giving SP1 a serious thought.
The problem with my PC now is the Explorer.
It very easily freezes and gets glazed over and says "Explorer is not
responding". It was not like this before, but I am not sure
if it was anything to do with the Windows Dedender giving
me this "Error 0x800106" sign. (In fact, Security says Defender
is on and working, but when I click the icon or every time
I restart it tells me about the error)

Do you think SP1 might solve this problem?

BTW, I could not install the BK939.... that MowGreen suggested.
It came back saying "it does not apply to your PC"

--
tomoedinburgh
Old October 30th 08, 05:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
tomoedinburgh

Problem solved! Well, sort of.

Dear SIW2

Im happy to tell you I got rid of the error message.
I installed this update that finishes with 099
(consequently i joined something called Spynet club,
considering the time i wasted solving this error problem
it was a hef entrance fee, but im glad now).

Thank you very much for your help!

However, this problem with the Explorer persists.
So, do you think SP1 helps this crash problem??

--
tomoedinburgh
Old October 30th 08, 06:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
MowGreen [MVP]

tomoedinburgh wrote:
dear mow green

I checked my updates and i dont think I have KB939... the one you
mentioned. What sort of update is this?

I regulary delete Shadow Copy and do registory Cleaning.

'Cleaning' the registry is the most likely cause of this issue. If you
used an automated tool, then restore it's backup.
If you did it manually, then you *should* have exported the reg
key/subkey prior to 'cleaning' it.

Cleaning the registry only needs to be done to ensure malware is not

Did you download the version of KB939159 meant for *your* system ?
There are 2 versions, x86 and x64, linked from the KB article.

I repeat:

What is the installed security software [antivirus/security suite/etc] ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Old October 30th 08, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
tomoedinburgh

Hiya

I always have the windows Defender and Wall on naturally.
But I also have this software called Spyware Terminator
which I chose randamly by googling. It works but I have no
idea how or if it is effective. I have never read a review
on this software. One thing I dont like about this software
is the full scan takes 3 hours to complete. I have never got
virus if I trust what all those softwares say. Do you think I should
get
something else to defend my PC?

--
tomoedinburgh
Old October 31st 08, 12:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
SIW2

Hi tomo,

Don't know much about Spyware Terminator , but I wouldn't have the
patience for such a long scan.

You really need an antivirus app. Avast free home edition is liked by a
lot of members here, you might try that instead. It helps guard against
malware and rootkits too. Read the help section to set it up how you
want.

You probably don't need the Vrdbs function, if so, right click the ball
on the left in the notification area, and select disable , then merge
with main icon.

'FREE antivirus software for Windows with anti-spyware - avast! Home
Edition' (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html)

Ccleaner is another free app. that helps reduce the clutter on your pc
and remove unpleasant cookies - again check out the help file to set up
how you want ( uncheck the Windows Defender option under the
Applications tab )

'CCleaner - Downloading Slim...'
(http://www.ccleaner.com/download/bui...wnloading-slim)

I use McAfee site Advisor, which attaches to your web browser and warns
you if it thinks a site is dangerous - it's free from

'Protection from Adware, Spam, Viruses, Online Scams | McAfee
SiteAdvisor' (http://www.siteadvisor.com/)

You might also try The Vista Firewall Control , free from

'Vista Firewall Control : Sphinx Software'
(http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html)

Once it is trained , it provides some protection against outbound
connections, and also reduced my start up time by a few seconds.

Hope this helps

SIW2

If you suspect something may have got past Avast and Defender, then
scan with this free app. 'Malwarebytes.org'
(http://www.malwarebytes.org)

--
SIW2