Is my CPU FRIED???????? :( Please have a look at this!

Old October 29th 08, 09:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Crunch[_4_]

Default Is my CPU FRIED???????? :( Please have a look at this!

Hi all...So I've let my laptop overheat several times, and all of a
sudden, I found it to be slow! As molasses. I ran some utilities (PC
Doctor 5 which ships with all IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads), and that gave it a
passing grade!

So I run my trust tool "PC Wizard", and even when I have it plugged in,
turn the battery scheme to "Maximum Performance", PC Wizard only ever
displays 997.45MHz anymore. No more 2.33GHz, which is what my T7600 runs
at. I turned OFF the Enhanced SpeedStep in the BIOS, and also attempted
a few other workarounds but it won't budge.

Is it normal for a CPU to still work at a MUCH lower speed after it
overheats a few times??? I'm typing on it now, and everything works
great, except (or so I think) the CPU...Hmmm...

Is it possible I just need to reinstall Vista, which I've been wanting
to do for about a month now, but haven't had the time to deal with it!??

Is there a way to determine the speed of the CPU, and do you guys have
any advice for me for any and/or all of the above??

Thanks guys!!!!!!! I need to get a new T7600 ASAP! *IF* it really IS
the CPU, that is!

Thanks for your help!

--
Crunch

I love my gadgets: T60p, *15" UXGA* *AFFS IPS Flexview* LCD, *T7600*
Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz, Atheros AR5008 *WiFi 802.11n*, ATI FireGL V5200
256MB, *Intel X25-M 80GB SSD*, Vista Ultimate *64-bit* SP1, Linksys
WRT610N *DUAL-N* bands; SlingBox *PRO-HD*, Treo Pro, Blackberry BOLD
Old October 29th 08, 12:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
thepizzaman

that is possible or i could be a virus and not overheat i would check
for a virus first and if none is found its probably the cpu

--
thepizzaman

Acer Aspire M1201 AMD X2 5000+
ATI Radeon HD3450!!!
Old October 29th 08, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

Have you eliminated the cause of overheating - usually a build up of dust
around parts of the fan and ducting? Till you do, nothing will get better.
Once you do, you may not have a problem. Most processors protect themselves
fairly well. Messing with the software is a waste of time till you eliminate
the heating in the first place. Figure on cleaning out the machine at least
a couple of times per year depending on how dusty your environment is.
Good luck

Old October 29th 08, 04:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

Once I got my daughter to always make sure that her laptop was on a hard
surface so the bottom vents were not blocked and we used the vacuum cleaner
to suck the dust out of the bottom fan openings she did not have any more
overheating problems.

Old October 29th 08, 05:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SCSIraidGURU

Take it in and have them open it and clean it out. They can check the
fans. It could be dust or a bad fan.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)
Old October 30th 08, 05:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Crunch[_4_]

Thank you, guys! I turned SpeedStep back on, and it once again goes all
the way up to 2.33GHz. However, not as frequently, but at least I know I
didn't fry this baby.

I'm going to open it up later today to clean it out. I run this baby
24/7, and have yet to deal with that for the first time, ever. I'll
write back to see if it will have improved after I rake out all the
dust. lol...

Thanks again! You guys rock!!