External USB drive not recognized by Vista

Old May 27th 09, 10:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
THE C. [MSFT MVP]

Default External USB drive not recognized by Vista

take a look at these links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...110521033.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268019

--
Computer/Software Tech.

Make it a great day!

Charles Richmond

"pauliewalnuts" wrote:

I have rebooted and the USB drive is still unrecognized. However, the
USB device error message went away. How? I reconfigured the Generic USB
Drive in Device Manager for "configured for performance," meaning that
it must be 'safely removed' before I can free the port. When it
initially was recognized by Vista, it was as a Plug and Play, and this
classification seems to have been the only thing prompting the
exclamation point next to the Generic USB Device in Device Manager. So
that error's gone.

But it still won't open.

The HDD enclosure came with a disk with drivers. However, Vista doesn't
recognize any of them in a Device Install, and also the instructions are
written by Chinese people (yes, I mean literally: the CD's name is
"我的光碟", which is probably Mandarin for "HA
YOU'RE A CHUMP").

Instructions on the disk about possible problems:

::::1. Make sure the USB cable is properly connected to your
computer.::
::2. Make sure the power supply provides enough power.::

::3. For Windows 98 the driver is installation. ::
::*(?WTF?)*
::::4. Some hard disk must be set to master mode.::
::5. Delete the “USB Mass Storage Device” from the
“USB Controller”::
::
I'm going to try Number Five now because I have no idea how to do
Number Four. Of course, I'm going to restart.

--
pauliewalnuts

Old May 27th 09, 10:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
THE C. [MSFT MVP]

wrong link in previous post here is the correct
one:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
--
Computer/Software Tech.

Make it a great day!

Charles Richmond

Old May 27th 09, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pauliewalnuts

'Change, add, or remove a drive letter - Windows Vista Help'
(http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...110521033.mspx)
doesn't help at all.

I can't rename a disk drive if the system hasn't initialized the disk,
and I can't initialize the disk because, and I quote from Computer
Management, "The Device is not ready." This applies to both MBR and GPT
styles of partitoning that Vista offers.

I'm giving up. My data can be rebuilt after a couple months but I will
never buy another Microsoft product again. They have literally costed me
hundreds of dollars in PENALTIES for using their products, penalties in
the forms of 1) lost data, 2) lost hours trying to make solutions, and
3) lost hours trying to get something workable out of Microsoft's lousy
product support.

Never again. I don't understand what happened; they used to make a good
product.

--
pauliewalnuts
Old May 28th 09, 03:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

You can restore your data from the backups you created!

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old May 28th 09, 05:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pauliewalnuts

Nope. The drive was the primary hard drive from an XP Service Pack 2
laptop. The reason I'm not using the laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1100, to
copy the file to my new computer is that it's graphic chip went kaput,
so I can't see what I'm doing.

I don't know; the whole situation is silly. I'm just a dumb guy.

--
pauliewalnuts