1680x1050 available initially but never again

Old November 1st 08, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RickMohr

Default 1680x1050 available initially but never again

I recently got an Envision G2219w1 external monitor for my Gateway
laptop running Vista Home Premium. Initially the monitor worked
perfectly at the maximum 1680x1050 resolution. I used it for several
hours, no problem. Then I put the laptop in hibernate mode and returned
several hours later to continue my session. Now no matter what I do
1680x1050 is not offered as an option. 1600x1200 and 1600x900 are the
closest options, and look bad.

I appear to have the latest driver for my "Mobile Intel 945GM Express
Chipset Family" display adapter. Gateway tech support assured me it was
capable of driving a 1680x1050 LCD monitor. (And it did work fine
initially.)

In Device Manager the monitor appears as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor". I
switched it to "Generic PnP Monitor" -- no help.

I've rebooted and unplugged everything several times.

I'm using the VGA cable because my laptop has no DVI connector.

Envision tech support says they recommend the "Generic PnP Monitor"
driver and the DVI cable, and won't engage with me about why it might
have worked initially and then failed. Thanks a lot.

Any ideas on how I can get back to 1680x1050?

Thanks,

-Rick

--
RickMohr
Old November 1st 08, 11:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

It appears that even thought you have the correct drivers installed on you
system that Vista is not using them. I suggest that you go into device
manager and specifically select the correct drivers.

Old November 2nd 08, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Darkelldar[_4_]

"RickMohr" wrote in message

[...]

You need to install the monitor driver.
You should have a disk that came with the monitor.

This happend to me once after Windows updated the driver. I had to DL the
driver from LG and install it to get my widescreen resolutions back.