System Volume Information out of control!

Old December 28th 06, 11:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Robert Blacher

Default System Volume Information out of control!

You can turn off the volume shadow copy service. But, I wouldn't. It will
break the Vista backup program, among other things.

BTW, I *may* be wrong but I believe volume shadow copies are only made in
Ultimate, Enterprise and Business editions of Vista.

"B J W" wrote in message
I notice that Vista allows the recovery of older versions of a single
non-system file -- called shadow copies.

So, it that why System Restore now wants seemingly gargantuan amounts of
hard disk space -- to store the journaling info for shadow copies of
document files?

If you need to substantially reduce the proportion of disk space allocated
to system restore, would it not make sense to turn off shadow copies,
first? How would you turn off shadow copies?

"Robert Blacher" wrote in message
The syntax of the vssadmin command is not a lot of fun, but it does allow
you to control the amount of space allocated to system restore and shadow
copies.

See:

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/decreas...em_restore.htm

"Mike" wrote in message
Nevermind, it turns out that it was the System Restore, I didn't realize
that it could use up to 15% of your HDD space, 15% of 600GB is a lot of
space and you do notice... Question is, should I turn it off?

"Mike" wrote in message
I have a really stupid question: What is the System Volume Information
folder used for? And why does it contain 60GB of data there?

Running Vista x64bit Build 6000 (RTM)
RAID5 (x3 320GB)

Thanks,
Mike

Old December 29th 06, 02:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
mikeyhsd

what I thought was an adjuster is not, did not try to adjust it, since I have MORE than enough disk space and was not worried.

all you can do apparently is to turn it off.

"Robert Blacher" wrote in message ...
That was true in XP. Want to double-check please in Vista?
"mikeyhsd" wrote in message ...
its easy to limit the amount of disk space used for restore.
on the System Properties pages you can change the % allocated.

Old January 4th 07, 02:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bert Kinney

That is correct. System Restore can be disabled on a drive within System
Properties - System Protection tab.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

mikeyhsd wrote:
you can certainly turn it off at least by unchecking it on the drive in
question.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:
Not in Vista! System Restore in Vista is far different than in earlier
versions of Windows.

Old January 13th 07, 06:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Digital Dave

I agree with "don't turn it off crowd" here.

I had to use it last week on my laptop (did something stupid that I don't
want to mention here) and as a last resort I used the System Restore and it
worked like a charm.

Leave it on...

/David
Shell/GUI MVP