Vista Banter

-   Windows Vista File Management (http://www.vistabanter.com/windows-vista-file-management/)
-   -   System Volume Information out of control! (http://www.vistabanter.com/14544-system-volume-information-out-control.html)

Mike December 26th 06 08:51 PM

System Volume Information out of control!

I have a really stupid question: What is the System Volume Information
folder used for? And why does it contain 60GB of data there?

Running Vista x64bit Build 6000 (RTM)
RAID5 (x3 320GB)

Thanks,
Mike

Mike December 26th 06 09:08 PM

System Volume Information out of control!

Nevermind, it turns out that it was the System Restore, I didn't realize
that it could use up to 15% of your HDD space, 15% of 600GB is a lot of
space and you do notice... Question is, should I turn it off?

Robert Blacher December 28th 06 04:51 PM

System Volume Information out of control!

The syntax of the vssadmin command is not a lot of fun, but it does allow
you to control the amount of space allocated to system restore and shadow
copies.

See:

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/decreas...em_restore.htm

mikeyhsd December 28th 06 06:34 PM

System Volume Information out of control!

its easy to limit the amount of disk space used for restore.
on the System Properties pages you can change the % allocated.

B J W December 28th 06 08:05 PM

System Volume Information out of control!

I notice that Vista allows the recovery of older versions of a single
non-system file -- called shadow copies.

So, it that why System Restore now wants seemingly gargantuan amounts of
hard disk space -- to store the journaling info for shadow copies of
document files?

If you need to substantially reduce the proportion of disk space
allocated to system restore, would it not make sense to turn off shadow
copies, first? How would you turn off shadow copies?

Bert Kinney December 28th 06 08:06 PM

System Volume Information out of control!

Not in Vista! System Restore in Vista is far different than in earlier
versions of Windows.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

Robert Blacher December 28th 06 11:37 PM

System Volume Information out of control!

You can turn off the volume shadow copy service. But, I wouldn't. It will
break the Vista backup program, among other things.

BTW, I *may* be wrong but I believe volume shadow copies are only made in
Ultimate, Enterprise and Business editions of Vista.

mikeyhsd December 29th 06 02:05 PM

System Volume Information out of control!

what I thought was an adjuster is not, did not try to adjust it, since I have MORE than enough disk space and was not worried.

all you can do apparently is to turn it off.

Bert Kinney January 4th 07 02:37 AM

System Volume Information out of control!

That is correct. System Restore can be disabled on a drive within System
Properties - System Protection tab.

Digital Dave January 13th 07 06:50 PM

System Volume Information out of control!

I agree with "don't turn it off crowd" here.

I had to use it last week on my laptop (did something stupid that I don't
want to mention here) and as a last resort I used the System Restore and it
worked like a charm.

Leave it on...

/David
Shell/GUI MVP