RunDLL missing file

Old November 5th 08, 08:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
cravingmad

Default RunDLL missing file

Hi, whenever I log into my laptop I get this message:
RunDLL
C:\PROGRA-1\MYWEBS-1\bar\1.bin\M3PLUGIN.DLL
The specified module could not be found.

Can anyone help, and advise me how to get rid of it.
Thanks
Helen.
Old November 5th 08, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

cravingmad wrote:

Hi, whenever I log into my laptop I get this message:
RunDLL
C:\PROGRA-1\MYWEBS-1\bar\1.bin\M3PLUGIN.DLL
The specified module could not be found.

Can anyone help, and advise me how to get rid of it.

The missing file belongs to the MyWebSearch toolbar, which is malware. It
seems that your antivirus/antispyware program removed the malware but left
a reference to it in your Startup. You can manage your Startup (see below)
but if you haven't recently scanned for malware it would be a good idea to
do so.

Start OrbSearch boxtype: msconfig and when it appears in the Results box
above, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation,
type the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup tab.
You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do you'll get
a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Usually in Vista this will be
blocked by Windows Defender and you'll need to allow it so you can then
tick the box that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop processes.
Instead, use Services.

Start OrbSearch boxtype: services and when it appears in the Results box
above, right-click and choose "Run As Administrator". Confirm elevation as
needed.

The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx - Autoruns

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old November 6th 08, 08:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

Finland wrote:

My email is:[removed] Find there.

Why would the OP or anyone else want to do that? The OP doesn't *want*
that .dll since it belongs to malware.

Malke

Old November 6th 08, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
cravingmad

Thanks Malke, unfortunatley for you i'm not quite sure what you mean..sorry,
i have apologised for cross posting on another discussion group...but please
still help me.
Can you simplify slighty what i need to do!! Thanks...
Also, whenever i receive notification that i have a response..i click on it
and just takes me to a blank page..any ideas?

Thanks again,sorry to be a pain,
Helen

Old November 6th 08, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

cravingmad wrote:

Thanks Malke, unfortunatley for you i'm not quite sure what you
mean..sorry, i have apologised for cross posting on another discussion
group...but please still help me.
Can you simplify slighty what i need to do!! Thanks...
Also, whenever i receive notification that i have a response..i click on
it and just takes me to a blank page..any ideas?

You're not being a pain at all but I don't know what you mean by "simplify".
This is as simple as I can make it:

1. You picked up the MyWebSearch toolbar from somewhere. MyWebSearch is
malware. You don't want it on your computer.

2. Either you uninstalled MyWeb Search toolbar yourself or whatever
antivirus/antispyware program you're running (probably Windows Defender for
the latter) removed the malware. In either case, a reference to the file
(which no longer exists because it was removed) was left in Startup by
mistake.

3. So you need to set Windows to not look for this file on Startup. You do
this with the System Configuration Utility. Here is the usage once again:

Start OrbSearch boxtype: msconfig and when it appears in the Results box
above, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation,
type the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup tab.
[Look for the reference to the MyWebSearch missing file and uncheck the box
next to it.] You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you
do you'll get a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Usually in Vista
this will be blocked by Windows Defender and you'll need to allow it so you
can then tick the box that says in effect, "don't bother me about this
again".

4. Because you had this once piece of malware, there is always the
possibility that you have more. Therefore, you should do some additional
scanning. I suggest you download/install MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM)
from www.malwarebytes.org. After the installation, update it and then do at
least a Quick Scan.

Malke