Vista Banter

-   Windows Vista File Management (http://www.vistabanter.com/windows-vista-file-management/)
-   -   Inconsistent Partition Data (http://www.vistabanter.com/145853-inconsistent-partition-data.html)

Christian Kaiser November 7th 08 05:36 AM

Inconsistent Partition Data

I have a Vista 64bit installed in a VMWare VM environment and resized
the harddisk from 35 to 45 GB (35 is definitely too small for Vista
and a few language packs). Then I did start the Management console,
connected to Disk management and extended the volume. This worked well
when I had to extend 25 to 35 GB (I was too optimistic at that time).

The a message box with "invalid parameter" popped up, and now I see
that the HD has a partition with 45 GB (shown below in the graphical
part of the management console's snap-in), but the partition table (in
the volume list at the top) does only show 35 GB as size.

This survived a few reboots since then... so no self-healing. Even
CHKDSK did not notice.

Does anyone have an idea how to tell Vista to re-sync the partition
table sizes (whatever causes the discrepancy in the values, which
should be the same... I assume one is the partition table, and the
other the volume database...)?

Christian

pooch November 7th 08 08:19 AM

Inconsistent Partition Data

Hey Christian,

Have you tried undoing the changes?
Is it possible to back up this partition and maybe reformat it?

--
pooch

Christian Kaiser November 7th 08 11:44 AM

Inconsistent Partition Data

I guess that backing it up and reformatting might do, but it too 3 or
4 days to install it including all recent patches, some language
installations just to get that plain empty system I would not
recommend it ;) It's still a system without any non-Vista application
installed (OK: MS Developer Studio).

Undoing: how can I undo a volume extension?

Christian

pooch November 7th 08 12:51 PM

Inconsistent Partition Data

Hi Christian,

I was just thinking out loud, probably as much for my own benefit, and
that is if you have extended a partition, it must be possible to shrink
it again, unless the extra has already been used

--
pooch

Malke[_2_] November 7th 08 01:41 PM

Christian Kaiser wrote:

I guess that backing it up and reformatting might do, but it too 3 or
4 days to install it including all recent patches, some language
installations just to get that plain empty system I would not
recommend it ;) It's still a system without any non-Vista application
installed (OK: MS Developer Studio).

Undoing: how can I undo a volume extension?

Hi, Christian - I'm sorry that I don't have a direct answer to your
question, but I do have two suggestions:

1. VMware gives you the ability to take snapshots of virtual machines. In
effect, this gives you a complete image of the vm at a specific point in
time. So next time before you make any big changes, take a snapshot because
restoring to the working vm is a no-brainer.

2. You might want to post your question on the VMware user forums. They are
very active and helpful.

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Christian Kaiser November 10th 08 06:32 AM

Inconsistent Partition Data

Malke,

you're right about the snapshots ;-)

Anyway, this (inconsistent view in the same Vista application) is not
a VMWare problem, but Vista's.

Christian

Christian Kaiser November 10th 08 06:34 AM

Inconsistent Partition Data

I did already try this ;-)

Now I have a (usable) partition of 32 GB, but a (used harddisk)
partition of 45 GB (in the other view of the disk manager).

Sigh.

Christian