I want to arrange files in my folder by type

Old November 13th 08, 06:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Donald L McDaniel[_5_]

Default I want to arrange files in my folder by type

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 07:54:11 +0000, txacoli
wrote:

......what you want to do: Have a sort apply to all subfolders, is
very easy to accomplish.

Here's how:
1.) Open Windows Explorer to parent folder of child folders you want
sorted.
2.) Sort on desired field by clicking on column header of desired
field. This is a toggle action. It causes all selected entries in a
column to be sorted Ascending or Descending with each click on the
column header.
3) Click on "Edit--Select All" (or select all files and/or folders
you want sorted using Ctrl + Click on each entry)
4) Next, click on "Organize"
5) Then click on "Folder and Search Options" from the pull down menu.
6) Click on "Apply to all folders".
7) You will be asked to confirm this. Click "Yes", then "OK"
8) Auto-magically, all selected subfolders will be sorted the same way
until resorted by the user. The sort will be done in such a way that
each sub-folder as well as its subfolders and individual files will be
sorted the same way.

Donald L McDaniel
[/QUOTE Wrote:

Donald, you're a genius! Thank you so much. It's stupid that this
function isn't easier with a right click and 'apply to all folders'
option, but your idea isn't difficult at all and in about 4 minutes,
I've managed to make this apply to all of my folders and subfolders, so
thanks once again.

Matt

Thanks. These things are easy to do once you figure out how
Microsoft wants it done. I'm not much of a genius, however. Just an
average Joe who has too much time on his hands.

Some people spend their time at the Bar drinking all night. I spend
it at my keyboard all night. Saves money, fer shure...

--

Donald
Old November 13th 08, 06:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Donald L McDaniel[_5_]

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 01:47:41 -0600, The Max
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 22:53:05 -0800, Donald L McDaniel
wrote:

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 12:08:18 +0000, txacoli
wrote:

The Max;1066972 Wrote:
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 09:25:40 +0000, txacoli
wrote:

Sorry, perhaps I didn't word it very clearly. What I want is to make
*one* change and have -SORT BY - TYPE- as an option for *ALL *folders,
rather than have to go into the -CHANGE DETAILS -option in every
folder
I open. Does anyone know if this is possible???

Sorry, but I don't think so. If you find a folder that doesn't have
"type" in the sorting field, you'll have to manually set it.

I find that unnecessary most of the time, because it's already set.

Date Modified, Type and Size appear to be defaults.

--
Max

Sadly, on my computer, this doesn't appear to be the case. Never mind,
you've helped me sort this out and make it easier than it was, so thanks
Max, I appreciate your time.

Max, what you want to do: Have a sort apply to all subfolders, is
very easy to accomplish.

Here's how:

[snip]

Thank you very much, but you replied to the wrong person: I'm not the
one with the problem. Take a closer look.

Actually, If you will look again, I did reply to the right person,
txacoli. I just got his appellation wrong. called him "Max". Sorry
about that. Didn't mean to cause you confusion.

--

Donald