Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Poor Performance With 4GB Memory

Old November 13th 08, 12:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

Default Poor Performance With 4GB Memory

"Akumajou" wrote in message

All 4GB (the 3327MB that 1021.006 BIOS detected anyway) passed
Memtest86+. My CPU is overclocked from 3.0 to 3.75 (250FSB), but I'm
using a 3:2 ratio (250FSB/3:2-DDR400) on the memory so it isn't.

New, related thread:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-perfor...ry-gaming.html

--
Akumajou

Your problems are self inflicted. Reset the BIOS to default..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old November 13th 08, 01:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
kg4icg

Hey people the reason why he is only seeing 3.2 gb instead of all 4 gb
is because he is running a 32bit os. On 32 bit Vista even if it says you
have 4gb it is only going to utilize 3.2 gb. Also some motherboards
utilize extra memory for system operations too. No matter hopw the sere
he might not get that allocation back

--
kg4icg
Old November 13th 08, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ken Blake

"kg4icg" wrote in message

Hey people the reason why he is only seeing 3.2 gb instead of all 4 gb
is because he is running a 32bit os. On 32 bit Vista even if it says you
have 4gb it is only going to utilize 3.2 gb.

No, that's not correct. The amount of RAM you can use if you have 4GB is
*usually* around 3.1 or 3.2GB, but it's not exactly 3.2GB, and the amount
varies depending on your hardware configuration.

Here's my standard post on this subject:

All 32-bit client versions of Windows (not just Vista/XP) have a 4GB address
space. That's the theoretical upper limit beyond which you can not go.

But you can't use the entire 4GB of address space. Even though you have a
4GB address space, you can only use *around* 3.1GB of RAM. That's because
some of that space is used by hardware and is not available to the operating
system and applications. The amount you can use varies, depending on what
hardware you have installed, but can range from as little as 2GB to as much
as 3.5GB. It's usually around 3.1GB.

Note that the hardware is using the address *space*, not the actual RAM
itself. The rest of the RAM goes unused because there is no address space to
map it to.

Old November 13th 08, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Victek

"Akumajou" wrote in message

All 4GB (the 3327MB that 1021.006 BIOS detected anyway) passed
Memtest86+. My CPU is overclocked from 3.0 to 3.75 (250FSB), but I'm
using a 3:2 ratio (250FSB/3:2-DDR400) on the memory so it isn't.

In that case the first thing to do is return the BIOS to default settings.
You have to determine if the over-clocking is causing the problem.

Old November 13th 08, 03:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
kg4icg

if you had seen, he is saying he is using 32 bit not 64 bit vista. 32
bit vista will only access up to 3.2 gb and no more. 64 bit on yhe
otherhand will take as much as you can give it depending on the
motherboard.

--
kg4icg
Old November 13th 08, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ken Blake

"kg4icg" wrote in message

if you had seen, he is saying he is using 32 bit not 64 bit vista. 32
bit vista will only access up to 3.2 gb and no more.

As I said, this is *not* correct. The amount 32-bit Vista can access
dedpends on what hardware is installed, but varies between as low as 2.0GB
and as high as roughly 3.5GB. Please read my previous message in this thread
for an explanation of why this is so.

Old November 13th 08, 05:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Akumajou

Richie Hardwick and Mike Hall, you're so insightful. If my problems were
self-inflicted/overclocking-related, why would limiting Maximum Memory
in System Configuration more or less fix the problem? Call me a genius,
that seems to indicate a software issue... And I did try running default
speeds (which exhibited the same symptoms) before posting, but that's no
excuse for your incomprehension. You're both useless, now go away.

--
Akumajou
Old November 13th 08, 06:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

"Akumajou" wrote in message

Richie Hardwick and Mike Hall, you're so insightful. If my problems were
self-inflicted/overclocking-related, why would limiting Maximum Memory
in System Configuration more or less fix the problem? Call me a genius,
that seems to indicate a software issue... And I did try running default
speeds (which exhibited the same symptoms) before posting, but that's no
excuse for your incomprehension. You're both useless, now go away.

--
Akumajou

Over clocking the CPU sends memory performance down unless you are using
very high quality memory.. do whatever you want..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old November 14th 08, 02:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Victek

if you had seen, he is saying he is using 32 bit not 64 bit vista. 32
bit vista will only access up to 3.2 gb and no more. 64 bit on yhe
otherhand will take as much as you can give it depending on the
motherboard.

--
kg4icg

I currently have 4 gb installed on Vista x86 and the performance tab in the
task manager shows 3453 megs available - in other words 3.45 gb. The amount
of available ram varies depending on how much address space must first be
allocated to hardware. A large amount of ram on the video adapter is one of
the main reasons for less available ram for the OS and applications.