simple question about directory tree

Old November 15th 08, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dr. DOS

Default simple question about directory tree

VistaRookie wrote:
Dr. DOS;1073186 Wrote:
Dave wrote:
You can create a shortcut with the following target
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /root, C:\

While this shows the sub-directory listings for the
c:\drive, it does not show the rest of the computer, such as
the cd/dvd drives and the attached (usb) other drives, or
the LAN.

*Doesn't my original post get it closer to what you want?*
*By moving the scroll bar, other folders are all visible.*

No. While it covers up the my documents stuff, it does not
change the folders options below. I still have to expand the
computer and then expand the drive below it to see the whole
directory tree including the hang-on usb drives and the
attached dvd drives. Thanks for the suggestion.

In the XP NG "Powerdesk"
http://shareware.avanquestusa.com/Po...esk6013_US.exe
was suggested and this works in XP. I have not tried it yet
in Vista. This is an older free version.
Old November 15th 08, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Gene Ho

"Dr. DOS" wrote in message
VistaRookie wrote:
Dr. DOS;1073186 Wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

PowerDesk : There is a Vista version which works fine with one caveat:
If you have Norton 360 installed it causes the right-click context menu of
PowerDesk to freeze and exit the program. Avantquest has a "fix" for this in
their FAQs which didn't work for me. It was either lose Norton 360 or
PowerDesk -- I chose to keep PowerDesk.

Old November 17th 08, 03:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mike[_32_]

Simple way is to click on Organize in the menu bar; then click on Layout in
the drop-down, then Navigation Pane. Will only show Drives.

"Dr. DOS" wrote in message
In Windows explorer(file manager)left pane (the directory tree) All I want
is....
for the left pane/window to show the contents of the C:\drive and what
hangs below it, such as the existence of all the subdirectories and D;\,
e;\ etc.
I do not want to see the useless "My Documents," "printers," "unused
desktop shortcuts," etc. and the rest of these irrelevant sub-directories
(folders). I do want to immediately see when I invoke the file manager the
main sub-directories including "program files," "windows," and all other
c:\etc.
Additionally, when I expand my network connections, there are a myriad of
listings/paths. These are historical since most of the time, the other
computers are off line. I want Windows to stop building up this list. I am
quite content to use (Lan)\entire network\MS Windows Network. How do I get
XP to give me what I want in file manager? Thank you.

Old November 21st 08, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Donald Lessau

"Dr. DOS" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

FYI: The next version (v7.90) of XYplorer File Manager will have something
called "Mini Tree" which is pretty much exactly what you want. Should be out
within the next 2 weeks.

http://www.xyplorer.com/

Don

Old November 26th 08, 04:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dr. DOS

Thanks Don,

FYI: The next version (v7.90) of XYplorer File Manager will have
something called "Mini Tree" which is pretty much exactly what you want.
Should be out within the next 2 weeks.

http://www.xyplorer.com/

Don

Right now, I am using an older version of Powerdesk (6.01)
which works in XP. Don't know about Vista. I'll look into
XYplorer,
Old November 26th 08, 06:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Donald Lessau

"Dr. DOS" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Thanks Don,

FYI: The next version (v7.90) of XYplorer File Manager will have
something called "Mini Tree" which is pretty much exactly what you want.
Should be out within the next 2 weeks.

http://www.xyplorer.com/

Don

Right now, I am using an older version of Powerdesk (6.01) which works in
XP. Don't know about Vista. I'll look into XYplorer,

The "Mini Tree" is a BETA feature that's currently progressing daily. It's
already in a state that should fulfill your wildest dreams about a fully
user controlled tree layout. If you're curious enough you can download and
test the BETA version from XYplorer's user forum.

Don

Old November 26th 08, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
VistaRookie[_92_]

Don, do you know if XYplorer File Manager will show an
*unsorted* view of files on Vista? Is that even possible
with NTSF?

I'd like to see my files in the order a DOS dir command
would display - so that the last file placed on the hard
drive (or other storage device) will appear at the
bottom of the list.

Sorry Dr. Dos, don't mean to hijack your thread but
maybe the feature I want is something you too
wondered about.

Donald Lessau;1085770 Wrote:
"Dr. DOS" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Thanks Don,

FYI: The next version (v7.90) of XYplorer File Manager will have
something called "Mini Tree" which is pretty much exactly what you

want.
Should be out within the next 2 weeks.

'XYplorer - A Windows File Manager and Explorer Replacement'

--
VistaRookie

Old November 26th 08, 08:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Big D[_4_]

VistaRookie wrote:

Sorry Dr. Dos, don't mean to hijack your thread but
maybe the feature I want is something you too
wondered about.

Instead of hijacking, start a new one.

Folks may have moved on from this one by now and are not reading it.
Old November 26th 08, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Donald Lessau

"VistaRookie" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

Don, do you know if XYplorer File Manager will show an
*unsorted* view of files on Vista? Is that even possible
with NTSF?

I'd like to see my files in the order a DOS dir command
would display - so that the last file placed on the hard
drive (or other storage device) will appear at the
bottom of the list.

XYplorer can indeed show an "unsorted" view of files, but AFAIK under NTFS
that is always equivalent to alphabetically ascending. I have seen the order
you mentioned (by creation date) only under FAT.

Don

Old November 26th 08, 09:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
VistaRookie[_94_]

Thanks Don

Donald Lessau;1085877 Wrote:
"VistaRookie" schrieb