simple question about directory tree

Old November 13th 08, 01:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dr. DOS

Default simple question about directory tree

In Windows explorer(file manager)left pane (the directory
tree) All I want is....
for the left pane/window to show the contents of the
C:\drive and what hangs below it, such as the existence of
all the subdirectories and D;\, e;\ etc.
I do not want to see the useless "My Documents," "printers,"
"unused desktop shortcuts," etc. and the rest of these
irrelevant sub-directories (folders). I do want to
immediately see when I invoke the file manager the main
sub-directories including "program files," "windows," and
all other c:\etc.
Additionally, when I expand my network connections, there
are a myriad of listings/paths. These are historical since
most of the time, the other computers are off line. I want
Windows to stop building up this list. I am quite content to
use (Lan)\entire network\MS Windows Network. How do I get XP
to give me what I want in file manager? Thank you.
Old November 13th 08, 07:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Gordon[_5_]

"Dr. DOS" wrote in message
In Windows explorer(file manager)left pane (the directory tree) All I want
is....
for the left pane/window to show the contents of the C:\drive and what
hangs below it, such as the existence of all the subdirectories and D;\,
e;\ etc.
I do not want to see the useless "My Documents," "printers," "unused
desktop shortcuts," etc. and the rest of these irrelevant sub-directories
(folders).

And why might they be "irrelevant"? Do you not HAVE any Documents?
Have you tried dragging the Folders pane divider upwards so that the
favorites pane disappears?

I do want to immediately see when I invoke the file manager the main
sub-directories including "program files," "windows," and all other c:\etc.

Why? What do you DO with them?

Old November 13th 08, 01:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dr. DOS

Gordon wrote:
"Dr. DOS" wrote in message
In Windows explorer(file manager)left pane (the directory tree) All I
want is....
for the left pane/window to show the contents of the C:\drive and what
hangs below it, such as the existence of all the subdirectories and
D;\, e;\ etc.
I do not want to see the useless "My Documents," "printers," "unused
desktop shortcuts," etc. and the rest of these irrelevant
sub-directories (folders).

And why might they be "irrelevant"? Do you not HAVE any Documents?
Have you tried dragging the Folders pane divider upwards so that the
favorites pane disappears?

I do want to immediately see when I invoke the file manager the main
sub-directories including "program files," "windows," and all other
c:\etc.

Why? What do you DO with them?

Thanks for the response.

Of course I have documents, thousands of them, and photos,
and downloads too. But these are not filed under "my
Documents." I use my own directory structure, not Microsoft's.

Dragging the folders pane bar upward simply reveals the
contents of my username subdirectory. My C:\ drive is still
at the bottom of the list and must be expanded to show the
actual directory tree. The rest above it is part of the
clutter I wish to eliminate, along with the network listing
clutter.

I asked a simple question about how to do something. My
reason for wanting this help seems totally irrelevant. If
you know how I can do this, please assist. If you do not
know how to accomplish what I request, kindly allow those
with more knowledge to assist.
Old November 13th 08, 01:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave[_29_]

This group is for Vista, not XP.

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Old November 13th 08, 06:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dr. DOS

Dave wrote:
This group is for Vista, not XP.

My error. However, with the exception of the multi-panes in
the directory tree, the problem of the clutter as I describe
it above remains the same. I run two vista computers and
wish to clean up this clutter in them. I'll repost the
question in an XP group for an XP answer, but would like a
Vista answer from this group.
Thank you.
Old November 13th 08, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Gordon[_5_]

"Dr. DOS" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
This group is for Vista, not XP.

My error. However, with the exception of the multi-panes in the directory
tree, the problem of the clutter as I describe it above remains the same.
I run two vista computers and wish to clean up this clutter in them. I'll
repost the question in an XP group for an XP answer, but would like a
Vista answer from this group.
Thank you.

Why not just disable the navigation pane? That gives you a pane with just
your drives in it....you did try that?

Old November 13th 08, 07:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave[_29_]

In Vista, you can change the items in the Favorite Links (top section), or
cover it up by dragging the dividing line up.
But I don't think you can change the Folders section.

Old November 13th 08, 07:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dr. DOS

Gordon wrote:
"Dr. DOS" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
This group is for Vista, not XP.

My error. However, with the exception of the multi-panes in the
directory tree, the problem of the clutter as I describe it above
remains the same. I run two vista computers and wish to clean up this
clutter in them. I'll repost the question in an XP group for an XP
answer, but would like a Vista answer from this group.
Thank you.

Why not just disable the navigation pane? That gives you a pane with
just your drives in it....you did try that?

How do I disable the navigation panel? That might do it!
Old November 13th 08, 07:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dr. DOS

Dave wrote:
In Vista, you can change the items in the Favorite Links (top section),
or cover it up by dragging the dividing line up.
But I don't think you can change the Folders section.

Thanks,
Gordon previously suggested that, but, as you note, it does
not achieve my goal.
Old November 13th 08, 08:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave[_29_]

Organize - Layout
unselect Navigation Pane

--