Speed differences between 32-bit and 64-bit Vista?

Old December 28th 06, 02:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Phillip Pi

Default Speed differences between 32-bit and 64-bit Vista?

Hi.

Since I installed both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista Ultimate Edition on my
old test machine (ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, Athlon 64 3200+ [754 CPU], 512 MB
of RAM, SATA HDD, etc.), I notice the speeds are identical. I can't see
and feel any improvements. I did install the ATI Radeon 9600 AIW drivers
to help the video speed, but I just don't see the speed differences. Am
I expecting too much or missing something? I don't have any other
program installed so far. It's just a bare Vista with the latest ATI/AMD
video drivers from ati.com/amd.com.

Thank you in advance.
--
Phillip Pi
Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
Old December 28th 06, 03:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst

x64 doesn't run faster. Clockspeed is determined by the hardware.
Performance would increase if you up the ram to 1GB.

Old December 28th 06, 10:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Theo

You won't see any difference while running 32-bit programs.
You will only see a significant improvement in programs
written for the 64-bit environment. Panorama Factory,
http://www.panoramafactory.com/ used to have a comparison
between 32-bit and 64-bit, but I couldn't find it just now.

Old December 28th 06, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst

The bundled programs can be either. The kernel is 64bit.

Old December 28th 06, 07:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst

The clock speed is the same so you would not see differences. Performance
of either platform on a 64bit cpu is a matter of the hardware. Where you
would see a difference is between running a 32bit OS on a 32bit system
versus a 64bit system. The increased efficiency (head room) on a 64bit
system will benefit the 32bit OS in varying degrees.

Old December 28th 06, 09:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Phillip Pi

Are you saying if I had a dual core Athlon 64 939/AM2 setup, I would
notice the performance differences on the same box?

Old December 28th 06, 09:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LaRoux

Where it's really going to make a difference is when you go beyond the 4GB
limit on the 32-bit Vista. Even Home Basic will support 8GB on x64 and Vista
Ultimate x64 will support up to 128GB.

I know this sounds like overkill today but you can bet you right index
finger software makers will figure out a way to use up every bit as quick as
prices fall enough for people to realistically purchase it. I wouldn't be at
all surprised to see mid-level desktop systems with 2-4GB installed and
supporting 16-32GB on sale this time next year.