Help RocketRaid 2302 Bios wont update - "version match"

Old November 14th 08, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
backert1

Default Help RocketRaid 2302 Bios wont update - "version match"

Hello,

I am having a really frustraing time installing a RacketRaid 2302 RAID
card in Vista Ultimate 64 bit. The new 64 bit drivers install perfectly
well and runn fine. I want to update the RR card bios from v2.2 to the
new version 2.3 as the boot up time is supposed to be much shorted among
other improvements. There are of course two options; 1) use the
highpoint provided hptflash.exe file provided on the drivers disk or 2)
run the DOS bios updater load.exe also provided on the cd.
Unfortunately I can't do either.

If I run the phtflash.exe program I get a windows stop error (red X in
box) accompanied by the statement "The version isn't matched". A cal
lto highpoint tech support says this is a Vista permissions problem with
my OS - the tech can run the same program on his Vx64 install with no
issue. He suggeted running as an adinistrator and using the XP SP2
compatability selection. That generated the same error. I do think
there is something out of whack with my priviledges setp as even though
I can select to run a program as administrator, the "run as
administrator" check box option is always greyed out at the bottom of
the compatability tab menu. Help appreciated here also.

I could run the DOS based card flash updater as option 2 IF I had a
bootable DOS CD - which I don't. I dont have a floppy drive in this
system (DELL XPS 630i) so I can't use my old Ghost v8 PC-Dos boot
diskette. I have tried to find a solution on the internet (like at
bootdisk.com) and just don't seem to get how to create the kind of CD I
need. Some specific instructions on hoe to do this appreciated -
especially on how customized it needs to be for my system versus a
generic system.

PS. I just made the switch to the Vista Ultimate x64 on this new
system moving up from XP SP2 which i knew really well. I'm still short
on general Vista knowledge and logic.

Thanks,

Todd

--
backert1
Old November 14th 08, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message backert1
was claimed to have wrote:

[...]

Can you start a command prompt as an administrator? Go to the Start
Orb, then to All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt
and choose Start as Administrator.

From there you should be able to launch the RocketRaid firmware updater.

I haven't personally tested this on Vista, but this did work on my 2008
x64 server, which is reasonably similar to Vista.

I could run the DOS based card flash updater as option 2 IF I had a
bootable DOS CD - which I don't. I dont have a floppy drive in this
system (DELL XPS 630i) so I can't use my old Ghost v8 PC-Dos boot
diskette. I have tried to find a solution on the internet (like at
bootdisk.com) and just don't seem to get how to create the kind of CD I
need. Some specific instructions on hoe to do this appreciated -
especially on how customized it needs to be for my system versus a
generic system.

One thought would be a LiveCD version of FreeDOS, I suspect fdfullcd.iso
would do the trick: http://www.freedos.org/freedos/files/
Old November 18th 08, 05:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
backert1

Ok - here's an update. I have tried everything I can think of to get
this to work. I had already tried the compatabiliy modes as suggested
above. Same error message "The interface version isn't matched" error
from windows if I select XP SP2 , NT, or 2000. If I select win 98 or
Win 95 the windows bios updater loads but then gives a mesage that the
SATA controller card cannot be located. Highpoint says this will not
work under Win 95 or 98, but it does under xp sp2. No one seems to
knbow what this Vista error is or where it came from.:huh::huh:

I did find and utilize the "Ultimate Boot CD" and add the DOS based
bios updater to that disk. I can boot to DOS, start and run the bios
updater, and then type in the correct bios file. When I hit enter to
actually update the bios, I get an error that says "Set Flash size to
74K", and "Bios File is Too Large". neither of these makes any sense.

Soemthing just seems royally messed up here and I can't get any help
from Highpoint or Dell.

--
backert1