Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Vista Bootloader shows only when VistaDVD is in

Old November 14th 08, 10:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
secretNwhisper

Default Vista Bootloader shows only when VistaDVD is in

Ok so heres the funny deal:

I had my Pc running on XP (I have 3 HDDs, and I have XP installed in 2
of them one is my Backup image *no dual XP booting here* ) and decided
to install Vista, I have a ton of partitions, having main XP in my
bigger HD, and installed Vista in another partition inside that same
HDD. Turns out that when I installed Vista for dual booting and things
happened like this:

-Vista x64 works unexpectedly friggin smooth and stable (yay for Vista)
-XP is running just fine
-If I turn on the PC it boots to XP *without showing the bootloader
*
-If I turn on the PC with the Vista DVD in the Optical Drive, *IT SHOWS
VISTA BOOTLOADER !* :shock: with the Previous OS and Vista options.
-If I choose "Previous OS" in the Vista BL boots to *MY BACKUP XP part
!!! :sa:*

*sorry for the caps :zip:

Anyway, as the expected TS I grabbed a Vista Bootloader Editor and
changed the Path of the "Previous OS" from F: (Backup XP) to E: (real
XP), rebooted and.....
surprise surprise arty: it still boots to Backup XP... Any ideas here
???

I will post you my BL files later (since I'm at work) so you take a
look ( tho I dont see anything weird yet...

-yet I have not resolved WHY Vista only boots with the DVD in-,and ,
also I wanted to reassign the Backup XP partition letter from Vista and
obviously it does not allow me since its a System Partition (its none of
ur business Mr. Vista!!) is there a way to do this ???.

Anyway thanks for your help guys.

--
secretNwhisper
Old November 14th 08, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
barman58

Hi secretNwhisper, and welcome to the vista forums arty:

not sure what's happening here but assume the vista bootloader is
confused. have seen it have problems pointing to a drive that has been
removed from the computer, and not booting until it was re-installed,
but never needing the DVD to be present.

You may want to download EasyBCD and have a look using it's debug mode
you may be able to reset things to work how you need

'Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies'
(http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Old November 16th 08, 05:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
vic1ous

I had this exact problem. The way I solved it was to download GParted
Live CD and under manage flags on the Vista partition make sure it is
set to Boot. If this doesn't seem to help I can write up a more detailed
tutorial on how to fix it just let me know.

--
vic1ous
Old November 16th 08, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
secretNwhisper

Thanx Barman, actually I used EasyBCD to edit the settings the first
time, and yet no sucess, here's the display of the Debug mode (
uhmmm.... now I see that D !! ):

windows boot manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=d:
description windows boot manager
locale en-us
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {aed71196-a0b9-11dd-bd28-dedf214c1bd3}
displayorder {aedbb7b5-aa04-11dd-b3da-002215215288}
{aed71196-a0b9-11dd-bd28-dedf214c1bd3}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 30
real-mode boot sector
---------------------
identifier {aedbb7b5-aa04-11dd-b3da-002215215288}
device partition=f:
path \ntldr
description microsoft windows xp
windows boot loader
-------------------
identifier {aed71196-a0b9-11dd-bd28-dedf214c1bd3}
device partition=c:
path \windows\system32\winload.exe
description microsoft windows vista
locale en-us
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=c:
systemroot \windows
resumeobject {aed71197-a0b9-11dd-bd28-dedf214c1bd3}
nx optin

ok looks like i can fix the booting thing now editing the id's, by the
way, how do i pull the id's of the partitions ? ( yes all of them are
there but for future ref and what does that inherit option does ?)

thanx again

i'll let you know the results.

-----EDIT

I will try that Vic cuz I cannot change the "Windows Boot Manager"
Section to remove that D: that is over there

--
secretNwhisper
Old November 16th 08, 09:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
barman58

Hi secretNwhisper,

Not sure what that entry means - never had to edit it (yet ), one
thing that seems to be all over the Neowin forums relating to XP/Vista
Dual boot is to, after they are created, copy the XP bootloader files to
the Vista drive

You can check out the full options for the program here ...

'EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki'
(http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...mentation+Home)

Or have a look at the forum at ...

'The NeoSmart Forums' (http://neosmart.net/forums/)

--