Generic USB on Windows Vista Home Basic

Old November 17th 08, 11:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ben Ramsay[_2_]

Default Generic USB on Windows Vista Home Basic

Windows Vista Home Basic
5 port USB 2.0
Compaq Presario F500 Laptop

Have recently purchased a 4 port usb and I have noticed that It works for a
while then stops working, it seems to disconect or enter a power save state
and I have to disconect it to start it again.

Have tested other devices on the port and they work. As far as I can tell I
have power going through the device but they seem to turn off.

Any Ideas

Old November 17th 08, 11:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mansrm81

Go into the device manager and look under universal serial bus
controllers and go through the usb root hub and look for the device in
the power tab then when you find it go to the power management tab and
uncheck allow computer to turn of this device to save power.

--
mansrm81

If you think I helped you fix your problem give me some rep . Click on
the scales. [image:
http://www.vistax64.com/members/mans...-untitled.jpg]
Old November 17th 08, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]

It is possible that you are trying to draw too much power through the hub
because of the devices you have connected to it. You might consider
replacing it with a self powered hub.

Old November 17th 08, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Big D[_3_]

"Ben Ramsay" wrote:

Windows Vista Home Basic
5 port USB 2.0
Compaq Presario F500 Laptop

Have recently purchased a 4 port usb and I have noticed that It works for a
while then stops working, it seems to disconect or enter a power save state
and I have to disconect it to start it again.

Have tested other devices on the port and they work. As far as I can tell I
have power going through the device but they seem to turn off.

Any Ideas

Yeah... is the hub self-powered, as in does it have its own power
supply?

If not, you screwed up and bought the wrong kind of hub. You are no
doubt overloading your USB power. A self-powered hub wouldn't do
that.