Windows Update Agere system PCI modem driver keep disappearing

Old November 17th 08, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GT

Default Windows Update Agere system PCI modem driver keep disappearing

I downloaded the Agere system pci modem driver in Windows and never had a
problem with driver but this month the agere system pci modem driver keep
disappearing and it's gone. I remove the driver and can't get the driver
using Windows Update. How do i download the driver again in Windows Update?
Old November 17th 08, 07:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT]

Could you please provide the hardwareIDs of the device?

start -- run -- devmgmt.msc [enter] -- device properties -- Details
Tab -- Hardware Ids

Old November 17th 08, 08:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GT

I don't have the driver for agere pci modem so right it's showing a yellow
caution PCI Communication controller and device status display

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

Hardware Ids
PCI\VEN_01C1&DEV_048C&SUBSYS_044C01C1&REV_03
PCI\VEN_01C1&DEV_048C&SUBSYS_044C01C1
PCI\VEN_01C1&DEV_048C&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_01C1&DEV_048C&CC_0780

Old November 17th 08, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

GT wrote:

I don't have the driver for agere pci modem so right it's showing a yellow
caution PCI Communication controller and device status display

Please don't multipost like this. You have answers and replies and questions
to answer from me in the thread you started in another newsgroup. You've
now got two completely separate threads where the participants don't know
what has already been asked, answered, etc. This wastes everyone's time and
effort.

Certainly you can choose to continue with this thread - I have nothing but
the highest respect for Mr. Davis - but I won't be monitoring it. I asked
you some questions for clarification in the other thread and will look
there. If you want to continue only in this thread, please say so in the
other one so I can drop this issue.

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old November 17th 08, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT]

The full enumeration of this device is:

PCI\VEN_01C1&DEV_048C&SUBSYS_044C01C1&REV_03
PCI\VEN_01C1&DEV_048C&SUBSYS_044C01C1
PCI\VEN_01C1&DEV_048C&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_01C1&DEV_048C&CC_0780
PCI\VEN_01C1&DEV_048C&REV_03
PCI\VEN_01C1&DEV_048C
PCI\VEN_01C1&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_01C1&CC_0780
PCI\VEN_01C1
PCI\CC_078000
PCI\CC_0780

Where the additional hardwareIDs of this device are the compatibleIDs.

This device has never been supported by inbox drivers (shipping with
Windows), has never had a driver on Windows Update, and has never been
logo'd through the Microsoft Designed for Windows Program.

Did this modem come with your system? Or did you purchase the modem from a
retailer?

My advice? Chuck this device and purchase a new modem. Even if you find
drivers, the likelihood of them being signed and stable is low. Don't buy
the cheapest modem: Look for ones with the "Designed for Windows Vista"
logo on them.

Old November 17th 08, 10:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GT

The 56k modem was replace by bestbuy geeksquad in 2006. OKThe modem appeared
in device manager and it has drivers installed again it says it's working
correctly but i will replace it since it's been unstable for 2 days now.

Is this modem good enough?

Old November 17th 08, 10:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT]

You get what you pay for. 3 out of 5 eggs is not that great of a community
review.

For $10 more you get a USR modem:

Old November 18th 08, 01:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Snidley W.

GT wrote:

The 56k modem was replace by bestbuy geeksquad in 2006. OKThe modem appeared
in device manager and it has drivers installed again it says it's working
correctly but i will replace it since it's been unstable for 2 days now.

Is this modem good enough?

Why so expensive? There are three selling for less.

There is often a very good reason for the adage "You get what you pay
for".

Old November 18th 08, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GT

I think I found the problem my wireless adapter and 56k modem have some kind
of hardware conflict. How do i fix it? wireless adapter and 56k modem is
using com3