Transferring files from a Mac OS X to a PC Win Vista Home?

Old November 19th 08, 04:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
***In2Ndo***[_2_]

Default Transferring files from a Mac OS X to a PC Win Vista Home?

Hello,

Can some one please direct me to where I can find instruction in and if
possible to connect a Mac running OS X ver. 10.5.5 to a PC running Windows
Vista home edition. To transfer files from the Mac to the PC? I don't have
an available USB drive. I'm running both systems on a wireless home network.
I only need to do this once in a while and its about 6 thousand files
between 2 and 3 meg each.
I am also running Parallels ver. 4 on the Mac using Win XP-Pro if that helps.

Thanks

Oscar.
Old November 19th 08, 01:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Malke[_2_]

***In2Ndo*** wrote:

Hello,

Can some one please direct me to where I can find instruction in and if
possible to connect a Mac running OS X ver. 10.5.5 to a PC running Windows
Vista home edition. To transfer files from the Mac to the PC? I don't
have an available USB drive. I'm running both systems on a wireless home
network.
I only need to do this once in a while and its about 6 thousand files
between 2 and 3 meg each.
I am also running Parallels ver. 4 on the Mac using Win XP-Pro if that
helps.

Running Parallels has nothing to do with this. If you want to share files
between the virtual machine running XP in Parallels and other computers on
the network, set up sharing in XP and read any special instructions in
Parallels' Help.

To share files between OS X and Vista:

This assumes that you have correctly set up Windows Sharing in OS X. If you
have Leopard, make sure you are using the SMB protocol and not AFP. You
must create matching user accounts/passwords on both the Mac and Vista. You
do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop in Vista (into one
particular user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The
instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

You also need to make sure you've correctly configured your firewalls on
both machines to allow the Local Area Network as trusted.

To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:

StartRunsecpol.msc [enter]

Click on "Local Policies" -- "Security Options"

Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"
and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows Vista sets
the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down arrow to change
this to "LM and NTLM ? use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".

In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per Steve Winograd, do:

1. Run the registry editor and open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel

3. Set the value to 1

4. Reboot

Malke