A Windows Vista forum. Vista Banter

Welcome to Vista Banter.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to ask questions and reply to others posts, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Home » Vista Banter forum » Microsoft Windows Vista » Hardware and Windows Vista
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hardware and Windows Vista Hardware issues in relation to Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices)

LCD screen of laptop needs to "warm up"?



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old November 19th 08, 01:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
civ2ru
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default LCD screen of laptop needs to "warm up"?

In the last couple of months, I've started encountering an error - the
laptop LCD screen is blank upon recovery from Sleep Mode or upon boot. After
rebooting or closing/reopening the lid (or sometimes just waiting a few
minutes does the trick), it starts working and after that works consistently,
it's just the initial "warm up" period from off or sleep state. Any ideas on
how to fix it or troubleshoot it? Would be greatly appreciated!
  #2 (permalink)  
Old November 19th 08, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 535
Default LCD screen of laptop needs to "warm up"?

Does the problem occur when running on both power and when running on
battery? If yes try running on power with the battery removed.
"civ2ru" wrote in message
...
In the last couple of months, I've started encountering an error - the
laptop LCD screen is blank upon recovery from Sleep Mode or upon boot.
After
rebooting or closing/reopening the lid (or sometimes just waiting a few
minutes does the trick), it starts working and after that works
consistently,
it's just the initial "warm up" period from off or sleep state. Any ideas
on
how to fix it or troubleshoot it? Would be greatly appreciated!


  #3 (permalink)  
Old November 20th 08, 01:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
spamme0[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 46
Default LCD screen of laptop needs to "warm up"?

civ2ru wrote:
In the last couple of months, I've started encountering an error - the
laptop LCD screen is blank upon recovery from Sleep Mode or upon boot. After
rebooting or closing/reopening the lid (or sometimes just waiting a few
minutes does the trick), it starts working and after that works consistently,
it's just the initial "warm up" period from off or sleep state. Any ideas on
how to fix it or troubleshoot it? Would be greatly appreciated!


What's your definition of "blank"?
Is it dark? Lit up, but solid color? Lit up, as evidenced by light
leaking at the edges, but otherwise black?
If it's dark, have you put the head of a flashlight right down on the
display to
see if maybe there's content, but not lit up?
  #4 (permalink)  
Old November 20th 08, 02:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
civ2ru
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default LCD screen of laptop needs to "warm up"?

Thank you for the reply Curious!

Tried removing a battery and haven't had a problem yesterday, but not sure
if it's because of that of because of other things I'm trying (not closing
the lid, for instance). Could you please explain how the battery (or the lack
thereof) is related to the screen's behavior? Just curious.

"Curious" wrote:

Does the problem occur when running on both power and when running on
battery? If yes try running on power with the battery removed.
"civ2ru" wrote in message
...
In the last couple of months, I've started encountering an error - the
laptop LCD screen is blank upon recovery from Sleep Mode or upon boot.
After
rebooting or closing/reopening the lid (or sometimes just waiting a few
minutes does the trick), it starts working and after that works
consistently,
it's just the initial "warm up" period from off or sleep state. Any ideas
on
how to fix it or troubleshoot it? Would be greatly appreciated!



  #5 (permalink)  
Old November 20th 08, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
civ2ru
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default LCD screen of laptop needs to "warm up"?

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

By blank I mean pitch black, not lit up (although the computer itself is
active). In the past there have been occasional times when it'd just go very
dark and I could still see content, but not lately.

I've been guessing that it had more to do with the connection than the
screen itself, because as I mentioned that once it lights up it works
consistently. Tried not closing the lid for shutdown or sleep and haven't had
the problem yesterday... Of course, the lid's gonnna have to come down
eventually, so I would like a more permanent solution. Any ideas?

"spamme0" wrote:

What's your definition of "blank"?
Is it dark? Lit up, but solid color? Lit up, as evidenced by light
leaking at the edges, but otherwise black?
If it's dark, have you put the head of a flashlight right down on the
display to
see if maybe there's content, but not lit up?

  #6 (permalink)  
Old November 20th 08, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 535
Default LCD screen of laptop needs to "warm up"?

There are several weird cases where removing and replacing the battery even
when on regular power have solved a start up problem and I do not know
exactly why.
Or maybe the battery is almost dead and therefore has trouble outputting the
required voltage so even when system is plugged in the system is trying to
charge the battery and until it is charged you see nothing.
When you close the screen you are either changing the power setting and/or
reducing the system load since the screen display is turned off.
"civ2ru" wrote in message
...
Thank you for the reply Curious!

Tried removing a battery and haven't had a problem yesterday, but not sure
if it's because of that of because of other things I'm trying (not closing
the lid, for instance). Could you please explain how the battery (or the
lack
thereof) is related to the screen's behavior? Just curious.

"Curious" wrote:

Does the problem occur when running on both power and when running on
battery? If yes try running on power with the battery removed.
"civ2ru" wrote in message
...
In the last couple of months, I've started encountering an error - the
laptop LCD screen is blank upon recovery from Sleep Mode or upon boot.
After
rebooting or closing/reopening the lid (or sometimes just waiting a few
minutes does the trick), it starts working and after that works
consistently,
it's just the initial "warm up" period from off or sleep state. Any
ideas
on
how to fix it or troubleshoot it? Would be greatly appreciated!




  #7 (permalink)  
Old November 20th 08, 08:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
civ2ru
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default LCD screen of laptop needs to "warm up"?

Interesting... For now, I'll keep the battery out until I need to unplug the
unit. I knew keeping it plugged in WITH the battery inserted can shorten the
life of the battery, but I never knew could it affect power.

But my battery certainly hasn't been almost dead... Almost full's more like
it.

As for closing the lid, I had it set to put computer to sleep, and now I'm
wondering if the problem is in the CONNECTION between the computer and the
screen rather than the screen itself. So for now, again, I put it to sleep
through a power button rather than by closing the lid.

Anyhow, all of these solutions seem temporary... Still looking for the exact
root of the problem that would cause these particular symptoms, and its
troubleshooting. Let me know if you have any other ideas! And thank you!

"Curious" wrote:

There are several weird cases where removing and replacing the battery even
when on regular power have solved a start up problem and I do not know
exactly why.
Or maybe the battery is almost dead and therefore has trouble outputting the
required voltage so even when system is plugged in the system is trying to
charge the battery and until it is charged you see nothing.
When you close the screen you are either changing the power setting and/or
reducing the system load since the screen display is turned off.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old November 20th 08, 09:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 535
Default LCD screen of laptop needs to "warm up"?

Well by having the setting to put it to sleep you allowed the battery to
charge so it would was fully charged when you opened the lid again.
Also have you tried reinstalling the battery?
The fact that the indicator says that the battery is fully charged does not
mean that it is not almost dead it just means the it will not accept any
more charge. Laptop batteries depending on type can only be charged so many
times and it a Laptop is normally connected to power it is often recommended
that it be removed in order to extend its life.

"civ2ru" wrote in message
...
Interesting... For now, I'll keep the battery out until I need to unplug
the
unit. I knew keeping it plugged in WITH the battery inserted can shorten
the
life of the battery, but I never knew could it affect power.

But my battery certainly hasn't been almost dead... Almost full's more
like
it.

As for closing the lid, I had it set to put computer to sleep, and now I'm
wondering if the problem is in the CONNECTION between the computer and the
screen rather than the screen itself. So for now, again, I put it to sleep
through a power button rather than by closing the lid.

Anyhow, all of these solutions seem temporary... Still looking for the
exact
root of the problem that would cause these particular symptoms, and its
troubleshooting. Let me know if you have any other ideas! And thank you!

"Curious" wrote:

There are several weird cases where removing and replacing the battery
even
when on regular power have solved a start up problem and I do not know
exactly why.
Or maybe the battery is almost dead and therefore has trouble outputting
the
required voltage so even when system is plugged in the system is trying
to
charge the battery and until it is charged you see nothing.
When you close the screen you are either changing the power setting
and/or
reducing the system load since the screen display is turned off.


  #9 (permalink)  
Old November 21st 08, 07:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
spamme0[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 46
Default LCD screen of laptop needs to "warm up"?

civ2ru wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

By blank I mean pitch black, not lit up (although the computer itself is
active). In the past there have been occasional times when it'd just go very
dark and I could still see content, but not lately.

I've been guessing that it had more to do with the connection than the
screen itself, because as I mentioned that once it lights up it works
consistently. Tried not closing the lid for shutdown or sleep and haven't had
the problem yesterday... Of course, the lid's gonnna have to come down
eventually, so I would like a more permanent solution. Any ideas?

"spamme0" wrote:

What's your definition of "blank"?
Is it dark? Lit up, but solid color? Lit up, as evidenced by light
leaking at the edges, but otherwise black?
If it's dark, have you put the head of a flashlight right down on the
display to
see if maybe there's content, but not lit up?

Lighting up and missing data, even on a dark screen are two different
problems.
The common factor is that both often go thru the same cable.
You should be able to make it flicker by moving the lid while it's on.
If you can't, that's an indication that it's not the cable/connectors.
Not conclusive, but a clue.

If you can make it flicker, the first thing to try is reseating the
connectors. Start with the end that is easiest to disassemble.

This process is trivial the SECOND time you do it. If you've never done it
before, you're likely to bust something in the process. These things
are put together like a chinese jigsaw puzzle. You gotta to each step
exactly right in the right order to get it apart. You may need
to buy tiny torx drivers.

And you can get a nasty shock from the backlight inverter, even when
it's off.

Weigh the cost of professional repair, replacement after you mess it up
and your comfort with working on things you know nothing about using tools
you don't have.
  #10 (permalink)  
Old November 21st 08, 01:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
civ2ru
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default LCD screen of laptop needs to "warm up"?

As of right now, it seems to be working - I've removed the battery while it's
plugged in, and for some mysterious reason that's helped. At some point today
I'll put the battery back in and see if the symptoms return.

If they do, and I can make it flicker, I'll go see someone about reseating
the connectors. If I can't (make it flicker) - well, I'll take it from there.

Thanks for all your help! :-)

"spamme0" wrote:

Lighting up and missing data, even on a dark screen are two different
problems.
The common factor is that both often go thru the same cable.
You should be able to make it flicker by moving the lid while it's on.
If you can't, that's an indication that it's not the cable/connectors.
Not conclusive, but a clue.

If you can make it flicker, the first thing to try is reseating the
connectors. Start with the end that is easiest to disassemble.

This process is trivial the SECOND time you do it. If you've never done it
before, you're likely to bust something in the process. These things
are put together like a chinese jigsaw puzzle. You gotta to each step
exactly right in the right order to get it apart. You may need
to buy tiny torx drivers.

And you can get a nasty shock from the backlight inverter, even when
it's off.

Weigh the cost of professional repair, replacement after you mess it up
and your comfort with working on things you know nothing about using tools
you don't have.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6
Copyright 2004-2019 Vista Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.