"Access is denied" problem

Old November 20th 08, 03:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Paul H

Default "Access is denied" problem

I use "TreeSize" to show me how my disk space is used. On my other Vista
Home Premium laptop as well as my XP Pro computers, it runs fine. But on my
new Vista Home Premium laptop, it constantly says "Access is denied" for
many folders. How do I get rid of this and let the program access every
folder? TIA, Paul

Old November 20th 08, 09:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard G. Harper

Try right-clicking the program and selecting "Run as Administrator" instead
of just clicking it and running it as usual.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old November 20th 08, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Paul H

No help - same problem. What sets these constraints? I'm the only user, so
my access should be total.

Old November 20th 08, 11:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jimmy Brush

Hello,

What folders are you denied access to?

- JB

Old November 21st 08, 03:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Paul H

Hi Jimmy,
Attached are a few examples. I only have this problem with "TreeSize".
"Find.exe" looks everywhere with no restrictions.
Thanks,
Paul

Old November 21st 08, 07:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Gordon[_5_]

"Paul H" wrote in message
Hi Jimmy,
Attached are a few examples. I only have this problem with "TreeSize".
"Find.exe" looks everywhere with no restrictions.
Thanks,
Paul

Right. "Documents and Settings" is NOT a folder - it's a junction point. The
only reason it's there is to allow pre-Vista applications that use
"Documents and Settings" to work properly.
Why on EARTH would you want to access the Prefetch file anyway? What could
you possibly do with it?
likewise msconfig.msi? Likewise MSOCache? (MSOCache is where all your Office
installation files are put, so that you don't need to insert the CD/DVD all
the time)

I really don't see what the problem is....

Old November 21st 08, 06:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Paul H

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Paul H" wrote in message
Hi Jimmy,
Attached are a few examples. I only have this problem with "TreeSize".
"Find.exe" looks everywhere with no restrictions.
Thanks,
Paul

Right. "Documents and Settings" is NOT a folder - it's a junction point. The
only reason it's there is to allow pre-Vista applications that use
"Documents and Settings" to work properly.
Why on EARTH would you want to access the Prefetch file anyway? What could
you possibly do with it?
likewise msconfig.msi? Likewise MSOCache? (MSOCache is where all your Office
installation files are put, so that you don't need to insert the CD/DVD all
the time)

I really don't see what the problem is....

=======================

You're correct, Gordon,
As you can see from the attached picture, the program shows me what is
taking space on my hard drive. Those folders are probably negligible, so
not a meaningful loss. But perfect is better than almost.
Thanks,
Paul

Old November 21st 08, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jimmy Brush

If you are running the program "as administrator", that is the best list you
are going to get, short of modifying system security settings (which is not
recommended).

Unfortunately, the real problem here lies with the application itself. If it
were designed differently, it would be able to show you the file usage
regardless of your access rights.

- JB

"Paul H" wrote in message
news