Booting

Old December 31st 06, 02:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
John Barnes

Default Booting

If you have burned the file as an .iso, the two possibilities I can think of
are that you need to burn the .iso at a slower speed, and that you have a
secondary listing in your BIOS that establishes which CD (in this case the
DVD) drive is actually used to boot from. In some BIOS you select the
priority of devices in one place and the priority of the individual devices
in a sub-list. i.e. removable devices (sub list 1 CD rom 2 DVD RW 3 DVD rom
etc.) another list would have the order of the HD's within the HD category.

"B Shealey" wrote in message
Ok, I have burned both the .iso file, and have used MagicISO to turn it
into
files and folders. I still cannot get it to boot with either of them. I
have setup the dvd drive as the first boot source in bios, but it will not
boot from cd. Thanks for your answers so far.

Old December 31st 06, 10:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
nicholas hall

I should wait till February and go to your local computer shop and buy a
boxed version of Vista.

This way you should not go wrong.

NIK

Old January 1st 07, 11:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Craig

I have the same issue with the iso from MSDN's website. After reading the
posts here I'm begining to believe the iso files do not include the system
files to make the disk bootable. I have also checked my BIOS.

Craig,

Old January 1st 07, 02:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
nicholas hall

I had no problem with the ISO image I had for my version (RC2 , build 5744).

I burnt the disk using Ashampoo burning studio 6.3 and it was well straight
forward.

NIK

Old January 1st 07, 06:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Colin Barnhorst

All Vista .iso images from MSDN and TechNet are the images of bootable
discs. All that is required is transferring back to shiny media using the
"burn image to disc" function in any burning program. It is good practice
to burn at the slowest speed available if you experience problems.

Old January 2nd 07, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Theo

If you used some utility to pull the files out of the .ISO
and then burned them to a DVD as data, you will NEVER be
able to install Vista from that DVD!

..ISO files are mirror images of the original disc. The only
thing you do with such a file is "Burn Image to Disc" for it
to work properly. When you 'Burn Image to Disc" the
original structure of the DVD is mirrored to your disc,
exactly as it was on the original. Most of the time when
you "extract" files from a .ISO you do not get the boot
files because they are hidden. Even if you do happen to be
able to extract the boot files, if you do not specifically
select the option to make a bootable disc and specify the
appropriate parameters, it will not be constructed correctly
to be able to boot from it.

Old January 2nd 07, 02:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Theo

If you used some utility to pull the files out of the .ISO
and then burned them to a DVD as data, you will NEVER be
able to install Vista from that DVD!

..ISO files are mirror images of the original disc. The only
thing you do with such a file is "Burn Image to Disc" for it
to work properly. When you 'Burn Image to Disc" the
original structure of the DVD is mirrored to your disc,
exactly as it was on the original. Most of the time when
you "extract" files from a .ISO you do not get the boot
files because they are hidden. Even if you do happen to be
able to extract the boot files, if you do not specifically
select the option to make a bootable disc and specify the
appropriate parameters, it will not be constructed correctly
to be able to boot from it.

B Shealey wrote:
I want to do a clean install of rc1. I have used MagicISO to unmount the file
and have burned it to a DVD. Porblem is, my computer will not boot off the
DVD. ANy suggestions?

Old January 2nd 07, 02:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Theo

No, the .iso file will not be read! The .iso file must be
burned as an image to a disc and the disc will then be read
as any other disc would be; select "Burn Image to Disc" or
similar option in you software.

B Shealey wrote:
So, the .iso file will be read in boot up?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

You should just burn the image straight to dvd and you should use as slow a
burn speed as you can. I don't know what you mean by unmounting and why you
would need to do it.

Old January 3rd 07, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
stuart richards

nero burning rom gives you the option to burn cd and dvd images, you should
be able to do it with a trial version from www.ahead.de (If they still do
them)

However most other burning suites have the burn image option, you just have
to change the image type they are looking for and then point to the image
file.

As has been stated in other posts If you burn the iso file instead of
pointing an image burn to the iso it wont work as all it does is make a copy
of the image. The point behind image files is that they contain a complete
copy of an original disk including the correct FAT for CD's which is why
when you extract the files and burn them seperately they dont work. The file
structure on a CD is NOT the same as on a hard drive and does not work in
the same way - rendering the boot files useless when copied to cd or DVD