USB Drive Blue Screen Partmgr.sys

Old November 22nd 08, 11:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter A[_2_]

Default USB Drive Blue Screen Partmgr.sys

I know there are threads around on this and similar topics, but they don't
help me and I should like to at least identify where a solution should be
coming from.
I have an external disk housing (Canyon) that connects an IDE disk to a USB
port. As soon as I switch the thing on, the system crashes with a blue
screen within a couple of seconds. Connected internally to the IDE interface
the disk works fine. I have tried with two different disks (WD and Maxtor) -
both give the same result. I have tried deleting and recreating the
partition on the Maxtor, with no effect. The external disk configuration
worked perfectly well under my old XP system.

Those are the basic facts. My first question is, is this a known issue?
(Judging by my searches on the internet, it is.) And secondly, of course, is
this recognised as a Vista problem and can a solution be expected?
Naturally, if someone can tell me there is already a solution somewhere I
shall be happy. But otherwise it would be for me a step forward just to know
that the problem is recognised by "the powers that be".

Thanks

Peter
------------
e-mail: reverse alias

Old November 22nd 08, 04:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GTS

Crashing the system with a BSOD is not a common problem. Issues with
drive recognition are far more common. What is the error shown on the blue
screen? Are you able to use a different USB device on your port (e.g. a
thumb drive)? Have you checked for driver updates for your computer? Do
you have a lot of USB devices connected? If so try with all others
disconnected to see if there may be a power issue or device conflict.

Old November 22nd 08, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter A[_2_]

I forgot to mention it in the message text, although I included it in the
subject line, that the BSOD mentions "Partmgr.sys" as the "culprit". This
surely is an essential fact.
Have you checked for driver updates for your computer? Well, no, but
drivers for what? The disk? The USB bus? Other? I thought Vista was pretty
good at keeping itself up to date on that front. What I have wondered is
whether there is an intermediate level of driver involved i.e. for the
external disk housing??

For information, in addition to a couple of communciation devices (Blue
Tooth dongle and WiFi transponder) connected to USB ports, there is also
another external storage device, namely a card reader, which also works
perfectly well.
To repeat, Partmgr.sys would appear to be the essential player (that's why I
tried deleting the partition on the Maxtor disk and recreating it).

Peter

Old November 23rd 08, 04:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hot-text

YOU NEED USB2 or USB3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_2.0

USB 2.0
USB 2.0: Released in April 2000.
Added higher maximum speed of 480 Mbit/s (now called Hi-Speed). Further
modifications to the USB specification have been done via Engineering Change
Notices (ECN). The most important of these ECNs are included into the USB
2.0 specification package available from USB.org:
Mini-B Connector ECN: Released in October 2000.
Specifications for Mini-B plug and receptacle. These should not be confused
with Micro-B plug and receptacle.
Errata as of December 2000: Released in December 2000.
Pull-up/Pull-down Resistors ECN: Released in May 2002.
Errata as of May 2002: Released in May 2002.
Interface Associations ECN: Released in May 2003.
New standard descriptor was added that allows multiple interfaces to be
associated with a single device function.
Rounded Chamfer ECN: Released in October 2003.
A recommended, compatible change to Mini-B plugs that results in longer
lasting connectors.
Unicode ECN: Released in February 2005.
This ECN specifies that strings are encoded using UTF-16LE. USB 2.0 did
specify that Unicode is to be used but it did not specify the encoding.
Inter-Chip USB Supplement: Released in March 2006.
On-The-Go Supplement 1.3: Released in December 2006.
USB On-The-Go makes it possible for two USB devices to communicate with each
other without requiring a separate USB host. In practice, one of the USB
devices acts as a host for the other device.
Battery Charging Specification 1.0: Released in March 2007.
Adds support for dedicated chargers (power supplies with USB connectors),
host chargers (USB hosts that can act as chargers) and the No Dead Battery
provision which allows devices to temporarily draw 100 mA current after they
have been attached. If a USB device is connected to dedicated charger or
host charger, maximum current drawn by the device may be as high as 1.5 A.
(Note that this document is not distributed with USB 2.0 specification
package.)
Micro-USB Cables and Connectors Specification 1.01: Released in April 2007.
Link Power Management Addendum ECN: Released in July 2007.
This adds a new power state between enabled and suspended states. Device in
this state is not required to reduce its power consumption. However,
switching between enabled and sleep states is much faster than switching
between enabled and suspended states, which allows devices to sleep while
idle.
High-Speed Inter-Chip USB Electrical Specification Revision 1.0: Released in
September 2007.

USB 3.0
On September 18, 2007, Pat Gelsinger demonstrated USB 3.0 at the Intel
Developer Forum. The USB 3.0 Promoter Group announced on November 17, 2008
that version 1.0 of the specification has been completed and is transitioned
to the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), the managing body of USB
specifications. This move effectively opens the spec to hardware developers
for implementation in future products. The technology will provide a maximum
bandwidth of 5.0 Gb/s, and with the possibility for an optical
interconnection.

USB 3.0 will remain backwards compatible with USB 2.0 as far as the Type A
connector is concerned. While USB 2.0 is based on uni-directional data flow
with negotiated directional bus transitions, USB 3.0 supports simultaneous
bi-directional data flows through the use of dual-simplex four-wire
differential signal wiring as compared to half-duplex two wire differential
wiring in USB 2.0. Other interesting innovations in USB 3.0 include new
power management features that support idle, sleep and suspend states.[30]
The two new differential pairs make the cable about as thick as an Ethernet
cable and provide full-duplex transfers.[31]

According to electronicdesign.com cables will be limited to 3 m at full
speed. The technology is similar to PCI Express 2.0 (5-Gbit/s). It uses
8B10B encoding, linear feedback shift register (LFSR) scrambling for data,
spread spectrum. It forces receivers to use low frequency periodic signaling
(LFPS), dynamic equalization, and training sequences to ensure fast signal
locking.[citation needed]

USB 3.0, which will be called USB SuperSpeed in commercial devices, is
expected to be available in commercial controllers in the second half of
2009. Consumer products are expected to become available in 2010.[32]

Old November 23rd 08, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GTS

Sorry, I missed the mention in the subject. I don't know the solution. I
found some other reports of this problem, like the one below, which indicate
that it was introduced with SP1.
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=619530