Failure-security options

Old November 29th 08, 11:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mark L. Ferguson

Default Failure-security options

If a Command Prompt will function, run the command:
SFC /SCANNOW

You might have to rightclick the taskbar for Task Manager, and the 'New
Task" button to run this command.

Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop
responding: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

--
Use the "Ratings" feature. It helps the new users.
Please use the Communities guidelines when posting.

"RENEE" wrote in message
I use Kaspersky and did a complete computer scan for that purpose - found
nothing. Am at my wits end.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

I would try to determine if there was some kind of Malware installed.
System
restore is not going to fail due to a MS update.

--
Use the "Ratings" feature. It helps the new users.
Please use the Communities guidelines when posting.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...help_en-us.htm
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Mark.Ferguson

"RENEE" wrote in message

Did that and, as usual, system restore does not work. Only things I
have
updated are Microsoft updates. Any other suggestions?
"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

This seems to be a conflict between one of your hardware drivers and
one
of
the updates you downloaded automatically. You can try System Restore
see
if it stops.

--
Use the "Ratings" feature. It helps the new users.
Please use the Communities guidelines when posting.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...help_en-us.htm
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Mark.Ferguson

"RENEE" wrote in message
IE7, Word, email not responding. Same problem with many programs.
Then
on
a forced restart/shutdown which takes 5-10 minutes-- "log-in process
has
failed to create the security options dialogue - failure security
options".
Am running Vista ultimate. This is a fairly new problem. Have not
installed
any new software

Old November 30th 08, 02:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Renee

Did the cpmplete disk check and made sure I have full control (your item 2)
and I stll have the same problem occurring

"Drew Tognola" wrote:

RENEE,

A couple things,
1) Have you tried clicking 'Computer right-click on (C, select
Properties', click the 'Tools' tab Click 'Check Now' Check only the
option 'Automatically fix file system errors', click 'Start'.
It will open a window asking if you want to check for errors the next time
you start your computer, click 'Schedule disk check' and restart the
computer.
See if this helps.

2) Click 'Computer right-click on (C, select Properties', click the
'Security' tab.
Under the heading 'Group or user names', click each item, Authenticated
Users, System, Administrators (your name/Administrators). Does each item
have 'Full Control' Allowed?

"RENEE" wrote in message
After all that - still have the same problem

"RENEE" wrote:

Sorry I'm an idiot...scrolled down and found where to actually turn off.
Will try that

"Drew Tognola" wrote:

RENEE,

By any chance are you running an Antivirus app alongside of Windows
Defender? If so, disable Windows Defender from the Control Panel
(bottom of
the settings page),. Also disable Windows Defender from 'Services' &
msconfig's Startup tab (click 'Start Run, type msconfig OK).
Restart your PC.

Click the below link and read the posts concerning your issue. Many
different Antivirus apps running with Windows Defender seems to be the
culprit.

www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic13079-9-1.aspx

Drew

Old December 1st 08, 07:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Renee

Tried typing long instructions in command prompt and it did not open
anything. I could do a scannow however

Old January 18th 09, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
jld1173

I'm having the same problem as RENEE has had. My system works fine when
I'm using it but when I lock the display and return to it in a few hours
the computer does not respond to ctrl-alt-delete command for task
manager etc. I have to do a hard reset (running a xps420) any thoughts
anyone?

--
jld1173