SATA 150 or 300 or RAID - Need Help.

Old November 29th 08, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wonderman

Default SATA 150 or 300 or RAID - Need Help.

I am running Ultimate on a Pentium D w/2meg and Ready Boost with a Seagate
7200 16 MB Cache on an Intel ICH7R/DH SATA Raid controller. I'm only using
one disk and the original with the machine was a 150 type 1. I just updated
the software for the controller to 8.6.

I'm about to replace the hard drive with a WD 7200 with 32MB cache and
wanted to ask the group for some advice. I am going to presume the
controller on the MB will only run 150. Does it pay to stay with what I've
got and run the 32MB cache drive alone, or - run it in RAID or invest in a
300 SATA card. I'd like to maximize performance yet not spend a fortune.
All thought and help appreciated.

Old November 29th 08, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

It depends on a number of factors as whether you would *actually see* any
performance boost using 300 sata controler.
Same applies to using a raid card and raid setup
For starters you should ensure your PC has at least 2gb ram, any less and
your looking in the wrong place for a performance boost

Old November 29th 08, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wonderman

Yes, running 2 gig. My board has built in RAID. Is there a program that
will tell me if its running 150 or 300 ?

Old November 30th 08, 04:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

The details of your specific mobo, from their site, or the mobo manual, will
tell you whether its 150 or 300

Old November 30th 08, 06:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wonderman

Thanks, yes I checked. Its one of the last Sony desktops and they don't
say... No where to be found.